Storyist Forums

A few suggestions...

MAD Energy

Here's a few features/ideas I thought of:

— a dictionary/thesaurus that's included in the software. I think it'd particularly beneficial to be able to access one in full screen mode.

— a better way to export to Google Docs? At the moment I've only been able to convert into .docs and upload it that way but formatting goes wonky when you do that.

— a shortcut to bring the inspector into view when in full screen mode. Maybe there's a way to do this already but I'm not certain what it is so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks MAD,

Here's a few features/ideas I thought of:

— a dictionary/thesaurus that's included in the software. I think it'd particularly beneficial to be able to access one in full screen mode.

You can right click on a word and choose "Lookup in Dictionary." It doesn't have a command shortcut, but you can add one using the systems prefs if you want.

— a better way to export to Google Docs? At the moment I've only been able to convert into .docs and upload it that way but formatting goes wonky when you do that.

This is probably something I'll take a look at for 3.0. I'm hoping the Google Docs API settles out a little. They just changed their internal representation for text files and it shows promise.

In the mean time, you might have better luck with RTF that with .doc.

— a shortcut to bring the inspector into view when in full screen mode. Maybe there's a way to do this already but I'm not certain what it is so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Command+Option+i

-Steve

You can right click on a word and choose "Lookup in Dictionary." It doesn't have a command shortcut, but you can add one using the systems prefs if you want.

Oh, okay. I'm a new user to the software (which I must say, I'm very impressed with) and I'm still learning the in and outs. Thank you for pointing this out to me. It is a little frustrating that it pulls me out of the full screen editor though. That's essentially what I was doing in the first place before I knew of the program's dictionary. I was exiting full screen mode and heading over to dashboard. It would be fantastic if the dictionary didn't boot me from full screen mode every time.

This is probably something I'll take a look at for 3.0. I'm hoping the Google Docs API settles out a little. They just changed their internal representation for text files and it shows promise.

In the mean time, you might have better luck with RTF that with .doc.

I'm looking forward to this. I use Google Docs a lot and it'd be great just to export to Docs. Thank you for the suggestion.

Command+Option+i

I should have know that. *sigh* But thank you for letting me know.

Hi MAD,

Oh, okay. I'm a new user to the software (which I must say, I'm very impressed with) and I'm still learning the in and outs. Thank you for pointing this out to me. It is a little frustrating that it pulls me out of the full screen editor though. That's essentially what I was doing in the first place before I knew of the program's dictionary. I was exiting full screen mode and heading over to dashboard. It would be fantastic if the dictionary didn't boot me from full screen mode every time.

It does pull you out of full-screen mode if you click the More button, but if you're just looking up the word, you should stay in full-screen mode. Is this what you're seeing?

I'm looking forward to this. I use Google Docs a lot and it'd be great just to export to Docs. Thank you for the suggestion.

Are you using the editing features of Google Docs, or are you just using it for cloud backup?

I should have know that. *sigh* But thank you for letting me know.

No worries. Now it is here for the next Google user with the same question.

-Steve

It does pull you out of full-screen mode if you click the More button, but if you're just looking up the word, you should stay in full-screen mode. Is this what you're seeing?

Uhm... I haven't encountered a more button yet. I highlight the word, ctrl click, click on 'Look up in Dictionary' and it boots me from full screen mode to allow the dictionary box to appear.

Are you using the editing features of Google Docs, or are you just using it for cloud backup?

Backup mostly, but it's also easy to send to friends through Docs, which I do a lot of.

Hi MAD,

Uhm... I haven't encountered a more button yet. I highlight the word, ctrl click, click on 'Look up in Dictionary' and it boots me from full screen mode to allow the dictionary box to appear.

Ah!

You can set a preference for the Dictionary application that either opens the Dictionary application, or presents the definition in a modal panel when you use the contextual menu.

I've got mine set for "Open Dictionary pane," which doesn't boot you out of full-screen mode. You probably have yours set for "Open Dictionary application," which DOES boot you out of full-screen mode.

See the attached screenshot.

-Steve

DictionaryScreenSnapz001.tiff

Hm... I seem to be missing something. I'm not entirely sure how to get to that pane. I looked through the preference settings a didn't come across anything for the dictionary. Help?

Hi MAD ∑nergy,

Hope I'm not overstepping here, but Steve didn't mean the System Preferences nor the Storyist Preferences, he meant the actual Dictionary application preferences. Open the Dictionary application and then go to Dictionary>Preferences. What you're looking for is there.

Glad to help.

- Thoth

• 1 month later...

I'm going to dig this up too, because I would love an in-app dictionary. I can't for the life of me remember or find the app that did this, but somewhere, I could select a word, then right click on it, and there would be something like "definition" and if I hovered over that it would give a short little definition would pop up. I believe it also had the same for thesaurus. It didn't pull me out of the app or pop up a big window. I could have sworn this was in Word, but all I can find now is the "Look Up In Dictionary", which brings up the obnoxious dictionary panel. It's less annoying to me to bring up the resource eating dashboard to look up a word in the widget.

I would really love for that to be how Storyist did things.

- Jools

Archived