Storyist Forums

Paste and Match Style Toggle

Steve E

I've been using Storyist for years and Word Processors for decades and in all that time I have never needed to Paste and not match the style at the insertion point. Never. In all that time. And I've only just noticed this. I've also noticed that using "Paste and Match Style" is the only time I ever need to Paste from the menu instead of a mouse button.

I don't think I'm alone here so I am suggesting that the "Paste and Match Style" function be turned into a toggle with "on" as the default setting.

I can't believe I'm the first person in decades to think of this. It struck me as so obvious that I actually got out of a warm bed to make this post. (Such is my life.) So unless there is some Apple Style Rule that prevents this, I feel this feature modification should be on the short list.

Yes, I know it adds extra steps if you don't want to match style (a. flip toggle. b. click paste. c. flip toggle back or not.) but how often is this going to happen? Think of all the time you save not navigating to the menu the rest of the time. Perhaps we should take an opinion poll. Collect statistics. Do the math.

Well, it seems like a good idea to me.

-Thoth

I don't think I'm alone here so I am suggesting that the "Paste and Match Style" function be turned into a toggle with "on" as the default setting.

Hi Thoth,

If Paste and Match Style were the default, you'd lose bold, italics, and chapter titles (or screenplay formatting) in your pasted text.

-Steve

I've been using Storyist for years and Word Processors for decades and in all that time I have never needed to Paste and not match the style at the insertion point. Never. In all that time. And I've only just noticed this.

Interestingly, in the process of readying my novel for publication, I did exactly that—pasted entire manuscript chunks into new manuscripts, wanting the styles and italics and all to come along for the ride.

I've also noticed that using "Paste and Match Style" is the only time I ever need to Paste from the menu instead of a mouse button.

Key command?

Yes, I know it adds extra steps if you don't want to match style (a. flip toggle. b. click paste. c. flip toggle back or not.) but how often is this going to happen? Think of all the time you save not navigating to the menu the rest of the time. Perhaps we should take an opinion poll. Collect statistics. Do the math.

It certainly can't hurt to have a toggle (assuming it's not painful to program).

But cut/copy/paste/paste-match are some of those universal key commands that are really easy to memorize. CMD+C for copy, CMD+X for cut, CMD+V for paste—and usually some combination of CMD+OPTION+SHIFT+V for paste & match style. I say this not to try and convince you to use key commands, but for me, there's no real difference in my "paste workflow"—all that changes is how many keys I hit with my left hand in addition to CMD+V.

I can't believe I'm the first person in decades to think of this.

I'm willing to bet that the reason that most applications haven't added a toggle is because paste and paste-match are two of those commands that even mental rodents like myself manage to fit in our pea-sized brains. It sounds like you choose not to use key commands, however, so the key command doesn't help you much.

Orren

Thank you, Steve & Orren, for your quick response.

Next time I post at Four-In-The-Morning (Eastern Standard Time), ignore me.

:(

And yes, Orren, I too use key commands and have PMS (Paste and Match Style) large parts of documents wanting to bring along their styles. It's just that when you wake up at 4AM with an idea, memory sometimes fails you. (It'll happen to you some day.)

In the clear cold light of a New York December afternoon, I humbly withdraw my feature request.

I suppose my newbie-like exuberance should have been a clue.

***tears of remorse***

- Thoth

Archived