Storyist Forums

Chapter Headings - Text View & Project View

TexasRunner

I had an interesting thing happen this morning. Am I the only one?

Last week during my edits I changed some things around, including changing some Sections to a Chapters, and therefore had to renumber the Chapters. I renumbered the chapters in the Project View Pane. (I.e., I changed the Chapter Title in the Project View Pane - e.g., from "CHAPTER 51 - THURSDAY" to "CHAPTER 56 - THURSDAY.") Today, when I was working in Manuscript View - I noticed that the Chapter Titles had not changed (It was still titled CHAPTER 51). When I highlighted the Chapter Title in Manuscript View and changed it, however, it also modified the Project View Chapter Titles. Am I being clear?

I've never had this happen before. Usually, if I change the Chapter Title in either place, one affects the other. Comments?

Thanks,

-TR

...I've never had this happen before. Usually, if I change the Chapter Title in either place, one affects the other. Comments?

That's certainly been my experience, TR.

I've only had two occasions when a Chapter title didn't change in both places: when I had forgotten to Save; when I had accidentally made my changes to the Section Sheet collection Chapters instead of Manuscript collection Chapters.

For what it's worth, I try to refrain from numbering things (like chapters) until I'm pretty sure the story organization is set in stone, if then.

Still nursing the flu.

-Thoth.

That's certainly been my experience, TR.

I've only had two occasions when a Chapter title didn't change in both places: when I had forgotten to Save; when I had accidentally made my changes to the Section Sheet collection Chapters instead of Manuscript collection Chapters.

For what it's worth, I try to refrain from numbering things (like chapters) until I'm pretty sure the story organization is set in stone, if then.

Still nursing the flu.

-Thoth.

So sorry about the flu! Hope your recovery is swift.

Actually, that's a very simple idea that makes a lot of sense. Kind of a Duh moment for me. I hadn't considered it. I doubt there's really any reason why you would have to number them until they are done - other than, perhaps, helping you find a chapter easily when you are making edits and you are working from a printed document and taking out huge chunks so that the page numbers change. Do you just label the Chapter "Chapter" in the heading or do you use some kind of brief descriptive as in the Sections? What have you find most helpful?

I very much appreciate the tips from you and other more experienced writers.

-TR

So sorry about the flu! Hope your recovery is swift.

Thank you.

...Do you just label the Chapter "Chapter" in the heading or do you use some kind of brief descriptive as in the Sections? What have you find most helpful?

I find it most helpful to use brief descriptions for chapter (and section) titles. I've also found it very helpful to expand on those descriptions in the Outline mode. For example: (chapter) Bill's & Brenda's Wedding; (notation in outline) Bill and Brenda get married in the ancient Incan ruins where they are attacked before the end of the ceremony by a host of ninjas.

The descriptive names help me find things better than a number would. If the name proves insufficient there is always the outline synopsis in Outline mode. If you don't want to give too much away in your chapter names you can always just used the section names and the synopsis.

Hope this helps.

- Thoth

Hi TR,

I've never had this happen before. Usually, if I change the Chapter Title in either place, one affects the other. Comments?

I haven't seen this either. Changing the title in the manuscript should cause it to update in the Project view and vice versa. If this occurs again, please let me know and we'll investigate.

-Steve

Thank you.

I find it most helpful to use brief descriptions for chapter (and section) titles. I've also found it very helpful to expand on those descriptions in the Outline mode. For example: (chapter) Bill's & Brenda's Wedding; (notation in outline) Bill and Brenda get married in the ancient Incan ruins where they are attacked before the end of the ceremony by a host of ninjas.

The descriptive names help me find things better than a number would. If the name proves insufficient there is always the outline synopsis in Outline mode. If you don't want to give too much away in your chapter names you can always just used the section names and the synopsis.

Hope this helps.

- Thoth

Thanks for your response. I use descriptives in the section titles and then summarize the contents below, but other than using something similar to "CHAPTER 1 - MONDAY" I hadn't considered using a descriptive in the Chapter Heading.

Thanks again,

=TR

Hi TR,

I haven't seen this either. Changing the title in the manuscript should cause it to update in the Project view and vice versa. If this occurs again, please let me know and we'll investigate.

-Steve

Will do. It had never happened before. I routinely changed them in either place, depending on what I was in the middle of.

Thanks,

-TR

• 3 years later...

I bought Storyist a few weeks ago, thrilled that it allowed for an ipad and iphone version so that I could work on the go. However, I've noticed some syncing issues similar to the above, which is while working on my iphone in "index card" view, I changed titles of the cards, and only some of them transferred over to the Mac when I synced via dropbox. All the other content seems to have synced nicely, but this issue, along with a comments issue I posted on separately in this forum, have me nervous about the reliability of the software.

If there is a fix, please let me know. Otherwise please consider this notice that these issues still exist.

Archived