Storyist Forums

Posting my NaNoWriMo book

codemer

November turned out to be the wrong month for me to write a book. I've decided to just go ahead and start posting chapters from my book as I write them, sans edits. If anyone is interested in a minor laugh, here's the URL: http://projects.noscience.net/blogs/this-e...so-do-chapter-1.

IF

The ticket scene rings true. You must have done your research :lol:

So would the blue stuff happen to be smurf blue?

-Steve

Hey, we're in the same boat, eh?

Are you from Canada? :)

Ah, the boat. That's not until chapter 4.

I gave up and started writing something else. And you know what? I'm having a lot of fun now.

Never give up! Never surrender! Oh, wait. Wrong movie.

I find this story fun to write. It's just a matter of having time. I also keep fighting the urge to go back and work on my real book. If anything interesting happened to me the day I write, I incorporate it into the story. Some of it I pull from things that happened months or years ago. I modeled the main character off a high school friend.

I sense a trust fund kid's fall from cash. :lol:

I never thought of that. What a great idea! :lol:

IF

I'm from, uh, California. I wish I was from Canada. Let's go with that. I'm Calli, from Canada!

I think writing from life is a good way to go. I mean, you can't have flat dialogue (whoa, the board says that's spelt wrong! Hey, it says spelt is wrong too! 0__o Am I going crazy?) if you take it from life, right? What is your "real" book?

Toddlers take a lot out of you,

- Calli

Yes, Isaac, writing from life is the way to go. I write all my sci-fi and fantasy from life. Speaking of which, life I mean, where does Corny the Cross-Dresser come from? Hmmm? Is there something you'd like to tells us? And does your wife know about Renee?

But about Calli for Canada's speculation. Let me take a shot. The car gets stolen outside the pub. Step-mom is so upset about the loss of her precious painting that she cuts off Corny's trust fund money until the cost of the art is repaid. Close? I guess I'll have to wait for chapter two.

BTW: Using Corny as a nickname for Cornelius is a stroke of genius. I can hardly wait for you to flesh out the character to see if you're going with the name (a la Dickens) or against it (Moutoux). And for that matter, how will cross-dressing fit into the plot? A disguise, perhaps?

-Thoth

I'm from, uh, California. I wish I was from Canada. Let's go with that. I'm Calli, from Canada!

Now I have visions of a many armed goddess wandering the streets of Montreal. (Note to self: book idea for nanowrimo 2008)

I think writing from life is a good way to go. I mean, you can't have flat dialogue (whoa, the board says that's spelt wrong! Hey, it says spelt is wrong too! 0__o Am I going crazy?) if you take it from life, right? What is your "real" book?

I think you spelled dialog wrong. :lol:

My real book is science fiction. It's called Mageen. I've been working on it since 2003. That's about all I tell anyone right now.

I find science fiction a real challenge, because I know there are a lot of super critical readers who analyze every bit of science content (like me). That also makes it lots of fun.

Toddlers take a lot out of you,

But they give a lot back! :lol:

IF

Yes, Isaac, writing from life is the way to go. I write all my sci-fi and fantasy from life. Speaking of which, life I mean, where does Corny the Cross-Dresser come from? Hmmm? Is there something you'd like to tells us? And does your wife know about Renee?

Corny is primarily based on a friend of mine from high school, with traits mixed in from various other people I know, plus my own warped sense of humor. As for Renee, well, I said I take many things from real life, but not all. :lol:

But about Calli for Canada's speculation. Let me take a shot. The car gets stolen outside the pub. Step-mom is so upset about the loss of her precious painting that she cuts off Corny's trust fund money until the cost of the art is repaid. Close? I guess I'll have to wait for chapter two.

BTW: Using Corny as a nickname for Cornelius is a stroke of genius. I can hardly wait for you to flesh out the character to see if you're going with the name (a la Dickens) or against it (Moutoux). And for that matter, how will cross-dressing fit into the plot? A disguise, perhaps?

Your speculation is awesome. Completely off, but awesome. It's wonderful to see how other authors think. :lol:

We'll learn more about "Corny" around chapter 3.

IF

Okay. So how do the Men In Black tie in with the woman who "stole" Corny's sports car?

Stay tuned for Chapter Three? (By which time I expect the antagonist's plot line to crystalize,)

-Thoth.

Again, I love your speculation, even if it's completely wrong. :o

You'll forgive me if I admit that I tend to introduce bits of storyline that go to sleep for several chapters.

IF

You'll forgive me if I admit that I tend to introduce bits of storyline that go to sleep for several chapters.

ARRG! I hate that! (IMHO: Worse case was that writer who spends a dozen chapters getting his protagonist into trouble and then gets him out of it by adding an easily ignored throwaway line to chapter one: "So I put the antidote in the desk drawer and forgot about it." But you wouldn't do that to us, would you Isaac?)

Fearful,

-Thoth.

ARRG! I hate that!

IMHO: Worse case was that writer who spends a dozen chapters getting his protagonist into trouble and then gets him out of it by adding an easily ignored throwaway paragraph to chapter one. "So I put the antidote in the desk drawer and forgot about it (for 12 chapters)." But you wouldn't do that to us, would you Isaac?

Fearful and unforgiving.

-Thoth.

ARRG! I hate that!

IMHO: Worse case was that writer who spends a dozen chapters getting his protagonist into trouble and then gets him out of it by adding an easily ignored throwaway paragraph to chapter one. "So I put the antidote in the desk drawer and forgot about it (for 12 chapters)." But you wouldn't do that to us, would you Isaac?

Fearful and unforgiving.

-Thoth.

It's so simplistic. It's just not me.

Cornelius has reasons to be paranoid, but not the reasons you might believe.

The problem I've had with my nanowrimo book is that I really don't have a direction. It's just coming out like it's coming out. Sometimes it's funny, like I indtended, but keeping a coherent story going is turning out to be quite difficult.

Brave and forgiving,

IF

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yes, I am curious to see how this develops. Welcome back, Isaac (rather belatedly), :rolleyes:

M

Sorry I haven't been around much. Lots of projects. I've been torn between So, Do and planning an invasion. So much to do, so little time. I hope you liked the latest chapter.

IF

Sorry I haven't been around much. Lots of projects. I've been torn between So, Do and planning an invasion. So much to do, so little time. I hope you liked the latest chapter.

IF

Sorry, how mean not to tell you that! A fellow author's sensitivities, and all. :)

Yes, I do like it. I didn't say so before because, truth be told, I skimmed through the five chapters just before shutting down my Mac, and a hungry cat kept leaping in front of the screen, so my perceptions were, literally and figuratively, somewhat blurred. But I just went back and looked at it again. The story is really interesting and I hope the kidlets and job leave you enough time to post more.

But if Cornelius thinks he's getting within a Texas mile of my automobile, he can forget it! :rolleyes:

Marguerite

Archived