Storyist Forums

Page Scrolling?

astillac

So I'm typing along, having a grand ol' time, and I get to the bottom of the page. I hit return, the cursor goes to the next page, and suddenly, I'm focused on the edge of my monitor. Not really so bad, I mean, all I have to do is scroll up, but when you're in the middle of a flow it's like, ugh, stop, give me white page below or there will be no damn cake! (I mentioned 4am and toddlers today, right? Sorry for the punchiness.)

Is there a way to make it so I have a little room to breathe while I'm writing? Is there anything I can do to make that happen? Some setting I can change?

- Calli

PS - I write in page layout mode, if that makes a difference.

I know the feeling. Typing off the end of the screen can be a little disturbing. But you'll notice that after the cursor jumps to the undisplayed next page the white space comes into view with the very next keystroke. I know. I know. Not really soon enough. And the Storyist methodology is, after all, supposed to be geared for elimination disruptions, even psychological ones. So perhaps Steve will put it on the list.

A typical user, asking for everything,

-Thoth.

I know the feeling. Typing off the end of the screen can be a little disturbing. But you'll notice that after the cursor jumps to the undisplayed next page the white space comes into view with the very next keystroke. I know. I know. Not really soon enough. And the Storyist methodology is, after all, supposed to be geared for elimination disruptions, even psychological ones. So perhaps Steve will put it on the list.

A typical user, asking for everything,

-Thoth.

I find that typing with my eyes closed fixes the problem. After a long day of staring at computer screens, I don't always feel like keeping my eyes open to write.

IF

I'm think that an option that keeps the line being typed near the center of the window might solve the problem. But then you have the distraction of constant window roll.

Another way to go would be an option to automatically scroll down a quarter page when the cursor reaches the last line of the window. This could be done even when there isn't a next page yet. The page would be inserted as it usually is, when it is reached. But the "space" would be there.

Just a thought,

Thoth.

I think that last suggestion was great - the option to have the page automatically scroll down. I wouldn't even mind the constant window roll - if I see all that text, it's kind of like it's pounding down on what I'm writing, and I just, visually, can't take it for more than .093 seconds.

It is such a nit-picky thing though. :lol:

It is such a nit-picky thing though.

You think that's nit-picky? I once complained about Settings having the only icon on the control strip that was predominantly brown, and that this was a slight distraction. (The Storyboard icon has only a thin brown boarder.) So what did Steve do? He put the completely brown Section icon on the control strip. That'll teach me to be nit-picky. So what do you think Steve will do now? Blank the screen entirely when we start to type? I wouldn't be surprised. Well, I would, actually. (At least it wouldn't bother Isaac. He types with his eyes closed.)

Stuffs pillows with his picked nits,

-Thoth.

(At least it wouldn't bother Isaac. He types with his eyes closed.)

An amazing feat, for sure. :lol: But I can bake bread while I write, so neah.

I haven't thought of a more graceful workaround than the auto jump. I don't know what else to do. Surely there's a way. Because there's a will. And where there's a .. ah crap, my bread is browning too quickly.

Gluten-free baker, away!

- Calli

It is such a nit-picky thing though. :o

Picking nits is not only acceptable on this board, it is encouraged!

Getting this kind of constructive feedback is actually rewarding. Back before Storyist was released when the beta group was using the mailing list to communicate, I tried to start an "It really annoys me when..." thread, but didn't get any takers.

This particular nit is one that bugs me too, and is on my list, maybe even as early as the next dot release. No promises though.

-Steve

Back before Storyist was released when the beta group was using the mailing list to communicate, I tried to start an "It really annoys me when..." thread, but didn't get any takers.

We didn't want to hurt your feelings. Now we know better. :o

-Savage Thoth.

Archived