Storyist Forums

iPad 2

Steve E

3 days till iPad 2.

Ah, yes. March 11th. Can hardly wait to read the reviews.

(Did you notice that Steve Jobs looks really good for a guy who had pancreatic cancer in 2004? Thin, but not dead, and that's good.)

It'll prob hit 105-110

Storyist does make it easy/easier.

Then I'll start trimming out the parts that suck.

Someday I'll figure out how the suckie parts get in there in the first place (I suspect gremlins) and win a string of Oscars. Until then it's a blessing that we can know them when we see them. It's surprising how many writers don't.

-Thoth.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello GestureTek. Touch screens have become so second generation. Intel is about to unveil a new microprocessor technology which can control devices with your gestures. How is this possible? The price of 3D cameras has dropped from $10,000, three years ago, to $150 this year. For a couple of videos—in English, from Germany—on the subject, click here.

I smell the iPad 3.

-Thoth

Ah, yes. March 11th. Can hardly wait to read the reviews.

(Did you notice that Steve Jobs looks really good for a guy who had pancreatic cancer in 2004? Thin, but not dead, and that's good.)

Storyist does make it easy/easier.

Someday I'll figure out how the suckie parts get in there in the first place (I suspect gremlins) and win a string of Oscars. Until then it's a blessing that we can know them when we see them. It's surprising how many writers don't.

-Thoth.

Unfortunately I've been using Final Draft. I'll have to keep using it long as I can't get a 1 to 1 format with Storyist - Final Draft. :(

Speaking of iPad stuff, for any of you who are musicians or would like to play with music, you can buy GarageBand for iPad now! This is a really amazing iPad app! (for both iPad 1 and iPad 2)

And when I say "play" that's what I mean. "Smart Instruments" give you bars that represent chords, so you only play in key--whatever you futz around with (that's a technical term) will sound good, not like random crap. And for real musicians, the smart instruments are still fun, you can set it to arpeggiate chords and then play over them, etc.

There are a lot of music apps, some surprisingly good, some toys, but this is the first real "studio" that is worth getting. As Gruber wrote in his fantastic iPad 2 review on Daring Fireball, he can't imagine anyone without this on their iPad. :)

It's the first app that I'd actually start a song in, then load into Logic (and GB for iPad is file compatible with GB desktop and Logic).

If you haven't checked out the video for it, it's the second to last video on the iPad 2 guided tour page. You can also see it on the GarageBand for iPad page.

Orren

Sold out everywhere, gonna try again tomorrow.

Yeah, it's been crazy, but strangely profitable. Consider this brief article about a college student who sold her spot at the head of the line at the Apple store on Fifth Avenue in New York, for $900. There's also a video.

I wonder if iPad 2 fever has struck Japan in the aftermath of a 8.9* quake and a tsunami.

- Thoth

*Biggest earthquake to ever have struck Japan, and 5th biggest earthquake ever, since they started measuring such things.

The smart cover is pretty ridiculous. I can't imagine having an iPad without it. Cameras are poor for any kinda of still photos. The front cam only good for Video Chat. The rear is pretty decent for video. It's fast as I don't know what. Coolest thing I've done so far. Chatted on Skype.

The front cam only good for Video Chat. The rear is pretty decent for video.

In all seriousness, with the iPad's form factor, would anyone want to use the cameras for anything else besides video chats? I realize that the iPad 2 is thinner than my iPad, but still it seems just too large to be convenient as a photography device. I'm trying to imagine holding up an iPad at a rock concert, a school play, a marathon, etc....it just seems too large and bulky to really be a first choice device, regardless of the quality of the camera.

I can, however, imagine it would be awesome for video chatting.

Orren

....it just seems too large and bulky to really be a first choice device, regardless of the quality of the camera.

It does suggest a certain irony. First people complain that there is no camera in the device. Then people complain that the device is too big to use as a camera. Video chat may be what they had in mind all along but then why the additional HD video camera? Perhaps Apple had an all-in-one record & edit device in mind. Or perhaps the app they have in mind hasn't been fully developed yet. (Photo database of household objects for insurance companies? Face ID software linked to bios and iCal?)

I agree that "it just seems too large and bulky to really be a first choice device" but even if it were pocket size it wouldn't be my first choice for serious photography. It is what it is but the question remains: What is it?

- Thoth

It does suggest a certain irony. First people complain that there is no camera in the device. Then people complain that the device is too big to use as a camera. Video chat may be what they had in mind all along but then why the additional HD video camera?

Actually, the rear video camera is an important part of the video chatting feature. You can switch cameras with a single button on the screen, so you can start the video chat looking into the camera, and then select the HD camera so you can view the room/environment. Apple's video points that out, but it's especially fun if you're at a table and want to show someone else as part of a video chat, give a "tour" of a hotel room to a spouse at home, quickly show a document or video that you're watching/looking at to the other person, etc. So both cameras are very useful.

Perhaps Apple had an all-in-one record & edit device in mind.

I wonder if the iPad cameras are quite good enough for that; they're not nearly as hi-res as the iPhone 4 HD camera, for example. But I'm sure the iPad would make a good editing device, since the screen is physically larger than the iPhone screen, making it easier on the eyes (resolution isn't the only game in town).

Or perhaps the app they have in mind hasn't been fully developed yet. (Photo database of household objects for insurance companies? Face ID software linked to bios and iCal?)

Interesting ideas! Perhaps the iPad 2's cameras are simply the best that Apple could put in there while maintaining the identical price point and profit margin as the iPad 1, and as prices come down, the cameras will get better, and we'll find out what the game plan was all along.

Orren

Here's a great ip for those of use who use iA Writer - or any other writing tool on the iPad that doesn't allow for a black background and white text.

"In your iPad Settings > General > Accessibility there is a cool option – Tap on Tripple-Click home, choose “Toggle White On Black” – Now the screen inverts its colors on tripple click the home button." - iA

Works great!

Your movie ("XCode for the Mac unlocks Multi Touch Gestures") makes me wonder why Apple "locks" those gestures in the first place. They seem pretty natural.

- Thoth

Cause they're still in development I'd wager. But they do rock. Totally worth the $5.

Rumors are we'll hear about iOS 5 at the iPhone 5 launch, it'll be ready end of this year ... for an iPad3 refresh perhaps?

But did you like my kite movie? lol :unsure:

The sound was choppy and the picture froze up a lot. Sorry.

Any suggestions on how to work around that?

Also, is Andy Hilton another of your pseudonyms? Who is Philip? Was that kite a stealth bomber replica? So many questions. So little time.

-T

The sound was choppy and the picture froze up a lot. Sorry.

Any suggestions on how to work around that?

Also, is Andy Hilton another of your pseudonyms? Who is Philip? Was that kite a stealth bomber replica? So many questions. So little time.

-T

Really, I've had no problem on any machine watching that movie. Mac, PC, iPad. You have any other problems with Vimeo? It's HD as well.

Smooth as silk every time I've watched it. Yeah it was a stealth bomber kite from the Air and Space museum. That kid was my son, heh.

Really, I've had no problem on any machine watching that movie. Mac, PC, iPad. You have any other problems with Vimeo? It's HD as well.

It was the first time I had ever visited Vimeo. I'll try again later to see if it's some sort of network difficulty. I get that sometimes with video.

...Yeah it was a stealth bomber kite from the Air and Space museum. That kid was my son, heh.

Keep it in the family, I say. Beats paying union scale for kid actors.

(***You're a good Daddy.***)

- Thoth.

Archived