Storyist Forums

Speaking of iPads/FaceTime/Technology in times of disaster

orrenm

I thought this letter from an Apple Japan employee was kind of heartwarming:

http://kevinrose.com/blogg/2011/3/14/apples-role-in-japan-during-the-tohoku-earthquake.html

We're so used to seeing corporations acting in their own selfish interest at the expense of society at large. It's nice to see examples of corporations acting in the interest of their community, instead. And yeah, it shows how cool our gadgets are when disaster strikes.

Orren

In these times when we hear nothing but stories about corporate greed, it is truly wonderful to read a story about corporate altruism. Thanks for the link, Orren.

If anyone hasn't read the update as well, I recommend that you do so. If you have the time, you may want to browse the 145 comments and 7,135 tweets available at this writing.

Also, applause for whoever is maintaining the wi-fi systems in Japan. I remember one summer when the power went out in my county: the land lines stayed up but the cell towers and wi-fi base stations went down, so while we could use our telephones we couldn't use our cellphones or other mobile devices.

My brother is concerned about how many US T-Bills the japanese are going to liquidate in order to pay for cleaning up this mess. The US bond market took a big hit after the big Kyoto quake of 1995. Japan is the second largest foreign investor in our treasuries, by the way. What hurts them hurts us (and not just in the Treasury Department).

Also, Glen Beck has already declared that the quake was God's Wrath for something or other. I'm sure we're going to be hearing more about this from the doomsayers.

- Thoth

Also, Glen Beck has already declared that the quake was God's Wrath for something or other. I'm sure we're going to be hearing more about this from the doomsayers.

Glenn Beck's palaver is to intelligent discourse what flatulence is to an aria.

Orren

Archived