Storyist Forums

How about an SF 2011 Section?

Serpententacle

Hi,

Just hoping that we could have a Script Frenzy 2011 section, for the hour is nigh.

Also, what's the difference b/t the Regular Storyist Download and the Script Frenzy download? The only difference I notice is when you click on "About Storyist" the Script Frenzy version has an "-sf" in its title.

Also, what's the difference b/t the Regular Storyist Download and the Script Frenzy download?

Don't quite know what you mean. Are you talking about the download to the Script Frenzy Page Counter?

Participated in SF2010 and won. Don't know if I'm going to do it this year.

-Thoth

Don't know about the downloadable page counter, but I'm pretty sure all Stroyist 2 versions have a running page count in the "Control Bar".

The Storyist Script Frenzy Version can be downloaded at the bottom of this page:

http://storyist.com/scriptfrenzy/

I'm gearing up for a fun April. This will be my 1st full script attempt. What is it 3.3 pages a day? Doesn't sound too tough...

Don't know about the downloadable page counter, but I'm pretty sure all Stroyist 2 versions have a running page count in the "Control Bar".

At the end of April Script Frenzy participants will be asked to download their effort to a Script Frenzy page counter. This is required in order to be declared a winner. This is a completely different thing from the Storyist Page Counter or the field on the Script Frenzy Home Page you use to declare your current page count to the Frenzy world. No need to worry about this just yet.

The Storyist Script Frenzy Version can be downloaded at the bottom of this page:

http://storyist.com/scriptfrenzy/

Now I know what you're talking about. (I should have left this for Steve.) The download you're referring to is a special offer for Script Frenzy participants who don't already have Storyist 2. (I.e., this free version will be unlocked from April 1 through May 15th.) But, presumably, you already have Storyist 2.

I'm gearing up for a fun April. This will be my 1st full script attempt. What is it 3.3 pages a day? Doesn't sound too tough...

Given the margins, 3-4 scripted pages per day is a cinch, assuming you have the time and know what you want to write. Still, you have to consider this a first draft. From personal experience, I can tell you that after you're done with the Frenzy, you're going to want to change things, add things, and delete things. Figure another two to three months before you're halfway happy with it. But maybe that's just me.

Enjoy.

- Thoth

They are two separate things, Serpententacle. Storyist keeps a running page total of your script. That is always visible at the bottom of the screen. The page counter Thoth is talking about is on the Script Frenzy website itself.

As you go through the month, you can update your number of pages according to Storyist, on the honor system. Before you can be declared a winner, though, Script Frenzy's online page counters have to validate your total. (The site will announce that the validators "open" on a particular date, say March 25.) To do that, you export your file from Storyist to RTF. At that point the page count may change, so it helps to have a few more than 100 pages in hand. You can anonymize that file, if you like, by changing every letter and number to a. As I recall, you were then supposed to print the file to PDF, to retain the page count, and upload it. Script Frenzy's automatic counters check its length, and if it passes, the winner's badge appears on your page.

So you don't download anything. You have a running total already, and the rest is on the Script Frenzy site. You should find instructions for validating and anonymizing if you click around the FAQ area.

Best,

M

Hi Serpententacle.

Thanks for the info... where can I download the Script Frenzy Page Counter for Storyist 2? Or do I already have it unknowingly?

As M just said, you don't download anything (except for your browser downloading the proper SF web page when the time comes).

I may have misled you when I wrote, "At the end of April Script Frenzy participants will be asked to download their effort to a Script Frenzy page counter. This is required in order to be declared a winner." And for that, I apologize. You don't "download" anything (except for your browser downloading a web page). Arguably, sending the SF counter a PDF of your script is uploading, relative to your computer.

Sorry for the confusion.

(Thanks M.)

- Thoth

Ah, I think I see, now. Thanks to both of you... NaNoWriMo was a bit easier—with word count bering a bit more straightforward. I will make sure to have about 4 pages a day of screenplay done. That should satisfy the page counter that Script Frenzy tallies.

Cheers.

HI all!

I am back from falling off the face of the earth for a while as the business of business got me sucked into another dimension...

and the call of script frenzy woke me up with a story to be told as a graphic novel... that's fist, but as one who found her expression in visual arts first, this is something that is exciting- to write a book at my drafting table with colors. I will still be using storyist for keeping it all organized and ideas percolating...

Hi everyone! Missed you.

Hi fizchick.

I am back from falling off the face of the earth for a while as the business of business got me sucked into another dimension...

Ah yes. The Business Dimension where lurk monsters. We're lucky to have you back in one fluffy piece.

... the call of script frenzy woke me up with a story to be told as a graphic novel... that's fist, but as one who found her expression in visual arts first, this is something that is exciting- to write a book at my drafting table with colors. ...

My graphic arts skills aren't what they used to be but the idea is intriguing. (You don't have to put much time into describing the setting if you can draw it. And as for dialogue, actions depicted speak louder than words written. IMHO.) One of these days I will give it a shot.

Hi everyone! Missed you.

Missed you too, Fizzy.

- Thoth

They are two separate things, Serpententacle. Storyist keeps a running page total of your script. That is always visible at the bottom of the screen. The page counter Thoth is talking about is on the Script Frenzy website itself.

As you go through the month, you can update your number of pages according to Storyist, on the honor system. Before you can be declared a winner, though, Script Frenzy's online page counters have to validate your total. (The site will announce that the validators "open" on a particular date, say March 25.) To do that, you export your file from Storyist to RTF. At that point the page count may change, so it helps to have a few more than 100 pages in hand. You can anonymize that file, if you like, by changing every letter and number to a. As I recall, you were then supposed to print the file to PDF, to retain the page count, and upload it. Script Frenzy's automatic counters check its length, and if it passes, the winner's badge appears on your page.

So you don't download anything. You have a running total already, and the rest is on the Script Frenzy site. You should find instructions for validating and anonymizing if you click around the FAQ area.

Best,

M

P.S. If you don't care about anonymization or are willing to tackle it through the Storyist find/replace function, you can just print the Storyist file to PDF and upload that. No need to worry about mismatched page counts then.

Congrats on the four pages. A good start!

Welcome back, Fizzy. We missed you!

M

Hi,

Just hoping that we could have a Script Frenzy 2011 section, for the hour is nigh.

Also, what's the difference b/t the Regular Storyist Download and the Script Frenzy download? The only difference I notice is when you click on "About Storyist" the Script Frenzy version has an "-sf" in its title.

I don't know how I missed this. Sorry for the delay in getting the forum set up.

There are only two differences between the Script Frenzy version and the regular download version: The Script Frenzy demo expires on May 15th, and it contains a small bug fix to the RTF importer when dealing with non-breaking spaces.

-Steve

Archived