Storyist Forums

Name Generator

Serpententacle

Not to seem stepping on anyone's toes, but one of the features that I feel Storyist could use is a "Name Generator"... this is one of the features on Scrivener that I really like... is there any way Storyist can get something similar or better in the future?

Hi Serpententacle,

Not to seem stepping on anyone's toes, but one of the features that I feel Storyist could use is a "Name Generator"... this is one of the features on Scrivener that I really like... is there any way Storyist can get something similar or better in the future?

I wear steel-toed boots, so no worries. Thanks for the request.

This has come up a time or two before, and I agree that name generators are quite handy. I haven't added one to Storyist yet because there are quite a few good free ones on the web and coming up with a set of names that takes things like ethnicity, historical epoch, and meaning into account is no small task.

As always, more votes mean higher priority for feature requests.

-Steve

As always, more votes mean higher priority for feature requests.

Hi Steve.

I like the idea of a name generator in Storyist but, as you noted, there are some pretty good free ones on the Web (behindthename.com comes to mind). There are endless criteria for choosing a name—ethnicity, gender, time period, feel, rhyme, number of syllables, anagrams, celebrity, to name a few—which makes creating a good name generator a very time-consuming task (all that research and tagging is really going to eat into your time).

So, if we're talking about both first and last names, seconded.

(This has come up before, sort of. Click here.)

-Thoth

Archived