Storyist Forums

Will Storyist end up in the Mac App Store?

xmasguy

Hi Mikey,

The title explains it all...are there plans to put Storyist in the Mac App Store?

I'd like to make Storyist available in the Mac App Store eventually. At the moment, Storyist uses some private APIs to work around OS bugs, so it wouldn't be approved as-is. Most of the bugs are pre-Snow Leopard, but there are two in Snow Leopard that I need to find other solutions for.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that this is not an issue with the Mac App Store as long as it still uses the standard apple package installer, and doesn't use the location based API for certain things.

Unfortunately I'm no longer working for a company with access to the documentation so I can not read the details but there are a few apps already that use OpenGL directly and not via the apple API interface to it as well as a few other non-apple APIs.

For me if it's not in the App Store I can't buy it which is why I don't own Storyist and am leaning towards scenarist even though it's missing a ton of Storyist's features.

Hi bmmcwhirt,

My understanding is that this is not an issue with the Mac App Store as long as it still uses the standard apple package installer, and doesn't use the location based API for certain things.

Unfortunately I'm no longer working for a company with access to the documentation so I can not read the details but there are a few apps already that use OpenGL directly and not via the apple API interface to it as well as a few other non-apple APIs.

For me if it's not in the App Store I can't buy it which is why I don't own Storyist and am leaning towards scenarist even though it's missing a ton of Storyist's features.

As both an OS X and an iOS developer, I'm quite sure Storyist wouldn't be approved in its current state due to the private API it uses, even though the purpose for using them is to work around OS X bugs. ;) There are a number of popular Mac apps in this situation, which is why you don't see them in the Mac App Store yet.

WWDC is coming up, however, and I do plan to talk to some of the Apple engineers about other work-arounds. I would like to offer Storyist on the Mac App Store eventually.

That said, please realize that if you do buy from the Mac App Store, you will only be able to get updates through the Mac App Store, and you won't be able to get updates from the developer. This is often not a problem, but there have been several high-profile cases (Panic's experience with Transmit is one) where updates were rejected by Apple even after they approved the original app.

-Steve

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived