Storyist Forums

Simultaneous talking

LSunday

Often I've seen in certain scripts, when two characters talk at the same time, they each have a column that are right next to each other in the script. This can be especially useful for trying to time out shouting matches in which you can't really hear a word either character says. Also, I have attempted musicals on Storyist as well, so it could also be useful for duets.

I only ask because sometime I find it difficult to start mentally timing the length of the script, if it contains a lot of sections like this.

Also, Copy-pasting scene sheets, character sheets, and scripts in the toolbar. I was writing a script about doppelgängers, a while ago, and it started to get annoying in character setup when I couldn't just copy the character into another sheet.

Being able to move settings/characters/scripts between files can be useful as well. When I was brainstorming for one story and writing out all my character sheets, I realized one of them would work much better as a character in another project I was working on, and it would be nice to just drag them into the other section if this happens.

Often I've seen in certain scripts, when two characters talk at the same time, they each have a column that are right next to each other in the script. This can be especially useful for trying to time out shouting matches in which you can't really hear a word either character says. Also, I have attempted musicals on Storyist as well, so it could also be useful for duets.

I can see how side-by-side columns of dialog can prove useful when people are talking simultaneously. But if they're saying the same things why bother duplicating the dialog? I have seen, and have used, compound character headers. This is where two or more names are used above the dialog and sometimes the direction "simultaneous" (in parentheses) is used below the name. Duets are another matter entirely.

I only ask because sometime I find it difficult to start mentally timing the length of the script, if it contains a lot of sections like this.

It's easier to time with compound character headers.

Also, Copy-pasting scene sheets, character sheets, and scripts in the toolbar. I was writing a script about doppelgängers, a while ago, and it started to get annoying in character setup when I couldn't just copy the character into another sheet.

Being able to move settings/characters/scripts between files can be useful as well. When I was brainstorming for one story and writing out all my character sheets, I realized one of them would work much better as a character in another project I was working on, and it would be nice to just drag them into the other section if this happens.

No doubt about it. We need more and easier duplication options. (Links in the sheets complicate this but that's not our problem.)

THOTH & RA

(simultaneous)

Seconded.

Agreed (on the duplication of sheets). In the meantime, you can export one or more sheets as RTF and reimport them into the same project under a different name or into another project. Choose File > Export and check only the characters, settings, etc., you wish to copy. Complete the export process, so that you have a bunch of RTF (RTFD if you have images) files (note that if you check the button that says something like "export to folders matching project structure," you will get a folder marked Characters, one marked Settings, etc., which for this exercise is very useful). Then drag the RTFs into the project where you want them to appear and choose the appropriate type (Character, Setting, Plot Point) from the drop-down menu that Storyist throws up. You would need to drag all the characters, then all the settings, etc., for this to work. I would open the RTF file and rename the character before reimporting it into the same file, to avoid potential database glitches; if you're importing it into a different file, you can skip that step. It's all much easier than it sounds from that description.

It's not perfect, because what you get is a character (say) sheet with all the text but not in the right boxes. But you can copy and paste the text from there. It's a decent work-around until we get a simple option-drag, especially if you're moving/copying between manuscripts.

Another useful trick is to keep separate folders for characters or settings that you have doubts about, rather than discarding them altogether. Then you can easily drag them back into the project if you decide you need them after all.

Best,

Marguerite

Theres a couple ways you can do it:

Final Draft has dual dialogue which puts them both on the same line. I've talked to several script writers - some with Hollywood movies under their belt - and there is no 100% right way to do it. In fact the more known you are as a screen writer - it seems the more you can deviate from the ideal layout.

From what I've heard you do dual dialogue when the two people are saying something different, IE: (Dashes are for spacing)

Charles ------------------- Laura

Don't do it! --------------- Don't go in there!

If they are saying the same thing it's a waste. You could do instead:

Charles

Don't do it!

Laura

(simultaneous)

Don't do it!

Or even better like in Thoth's example:

Charles and Laura

Don't do it!

Their names are together in the header - I don't think we even need the (simultaneous).

Yeah. I was referencing more a section where you have two people saying radically different things, such as:

JOHN----------------------------------------------------------------JILL

I can't believe you would do that to me!----------------Don't listen to him, he's just sore you were right

Oh, you be quiet, before you drive me

crazy, going on and on about how I ----------------------Oh, I should be quiet, what about you, with your

Etc, etc.

Yeah. I was referencing more a section where you have two people saying radically different things, such as:

JOHN----------------------------------------------------------------JILL

I can't believe you would do that to me!----------------Don't listen to him, he's just sore you were right

Oh, you be quiet, before you drive me

crazy, going on and on about how I ----------------------Oh, I should be quiet, what about you, with your

Etc, etc.

Reminds me of those screwball comedies of the 1930's. Perhaps one of us can dig up one of those scripts.

(I'll look around.)

-Thoth

• 1 month later...

Archived