Storyist Forums

Just got done with my first 4 pages...

Serpententacle

Well, I just logged in my first 4 pages of my script (using Storyist for this one), and I'm calling it Poet For Hire. It's a dark comedy/farcical horror. These first four were pretty easy, despite the fact I slaved for over eight hours of soul crushing work (occupation) just prior to writing.

Are we going to have a Script Frenzy 2011 section? Or am I the only one on these forums participating?

See you on The Front.

Well, I just logged in my first 4 pages of my script (using Storyist for this one), and I'm calling it Poet For Hire. It's a dark comedy/farcical horror.

Congratulations! Comedy/Horror is tough.

Are we going to have a Script Frenzy 2011 section? Or am I the only one on these forums participating?

A Script Frenzy 2011 forum is up to Steve. None of my usual writing buddies (including Steve), nor myself, have logged any pages yet, but it's only Day One. I did notice a Golden Ticket by Steve's name so he is a contributor. (Yea Steve.)

I'm probably not entering this year (time, the economy, blah blah blah) so I'll just wish you luck and see you at the Rear.

- Thoth

Hi Serpententacle,

Congrats. Just starting on my pages now.

This year, I'm going to collaborate with my 10-year-old son. It sounds like we're writing Star Wars meets Pokemon at the moment. Should be interesting. He's really into it.

Sorry it took so long to get the 2011 forum set up.

-Steve

I've got 7 total so far!

Thanks for the warm welcome back, Thoth and Marguerite! I felt all the warmth here- I think it was in the 80's this week. Nice.

And welcome aboard, Serpentacle! Great start!

Thanks, Steve for getting the thread here!

I am really having fun, feeling guilty a little that I'm not doing the bulk of the work Storyist this time, but with paper and markers, pencils and maybe some glitter at the end...yeah, some glitter at the end. This is a graphic novel... but I suppose that was obvious...

onward ho...

- Fiz

Nice...

Thanks for getting this Script Frenzy Section going. I'm fixing to take a grasp on day 2...

That's awesome to collaborate with your son, Steve. Sounds like a success. Pokemon meets Star Wars... can't go wrong with those 2 winners.

Ciao.

This year, I'm going to collaborate with my 10-year-old son. It sounds like we're writing Star Wars meets Pokemon [script] at the moment. Should be interesting. He's really into it.

How did I miss this! Go going Steve. This could be a wonderful bonding experience with your son (unless he gets bored with the actual work of writing 100 pages). Be sure to print it out so that years from now (after computers are outlawed) you can both re-read it and appreciate the time you spent together.

Better than fishing.

- Thoth

Alright... I'm having no challenge with Script Frenzy... so I'm considering devoting my time back to my fiction. I have a novel to revise... Does anyone want to try to talk me into following through with Script Frenzy?

Alright... I'm having no challenge with Script Frenzy... so I'm considering devoting my time back to my fiction. I have a novel to revise... Does anyone want to try to talk me into following through with Script Frenzy?

Doing four scripted pages a day is only a small part of the challenge. Doing it for 30 days — that's the challenge. Having to produced a completed first draft, under a deadline, that's being a professional (well, that and getting paid). Heck, Serpententacle, you already knew you could write (with your serpent tentacle?) but that alone doesn't prove you can be a writer.

Not really the cheerleader type,

- Thoth

What does "no challenge" mean? You enjoy suffering for your art and it's coming too easily? Or you are bored silly and have no interest in what happens to your story?

PS. I've heard Thoth has a closet of pom-poms. Denial is powerful. Don't tell him I told you.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am converting said novel into a screenplay, hence the non-challenge (is this considered cheating?). Upon doing so, I have noticed that my novel needs a massive re-write.

I have, though, decided to continue with Script Frenzy, just so I can impress my friends, and say, "Yeah...I wrote a script." B)

I'm on schedule.

I have, though, decided to continue with Script Frenzy, just so I can impress my friends...

Good for you. No retreat. No surrender. And for what it's worth, color me impressed.

PS. I've heard Thoth has a closet of pom-poms. Denial is powerful. Don't tell him I told you.

It's a walk-in closet, Fizzy. I've been stealing them for years, trying to complete my collection of a pom-pom from every professional cheerleading squad in America. I sometimes show off my collection to cheerleaders; they're very impressed. Then they smile and back away slowly.

Move to the left. Move to the right.

Jump up and down and write, write, write!

Beeee aggressive! Be, be aggressive!

Yay Storyists!

-Thoth

I don't think that converting your novel into a screenplay is cheating (but then, I wouldn't—I did exactly that last year). Why not use the screenplay to work out the bare bones of the rewrite, or are you already doing that?

If you already know where your novel should go, of course, the script could become a distraction. But the nice part about a script is that you have to focus on the essentials: plot, character, action. What people actually do and say, how they show emotion (including emotions they don't recognize or don't want to admit). Once all that is in place, you'll find it much easier to decide which sensory details to emphasize in your descriptions and settings.

Just a thought,

M

Maybe I should have mentioned that I am converting said novel into a screenplay, hence the non-challenge (is this considered cheating?). Upon doing so, I have noticed that my novel needs a massive re-write.

Isn't that always the way?

Finishing the screenplay should uncover other points of concern.

"Writing is re-writing." — Forgot who said this.

- Thoth

It's a walk-in closet, Fizzy. I've been stealing them for years, trying to complete my collection of a pom-pom from every professional cheerleading squad in America. I sometimes show off my collection to cheerleaders; they're very impressed. Then they smile and back away slowly.

Move to the left. Move to the right.

Jump up and down and write, write, write!

Beeee aggressive! Be, be aggressive!

Yay Storyists!

See?! Thoth is the Storyist unofficial cheerleader. There is a whole fan page devoted on Facebook just to his closet of pom poms... those cheerleaders love him. From a far...

Thanks for your honesty and cheering skills here, Thoth. We are indeed a lucky bunch.

-Fiz

Getting to the mid- month mark, but not quite...I found that my enthusiasm waned... and then the force of will power got me to the desk and 10 pages came along...

Anyone else slumping a little? Enjoying? Blissful?

Yep. David and I are a little behind. Almost time to break out the Deleted Scenes trick.

-Steve

Getting to the mid- month mark, but not quite...I found that my enthusiasm waned... and then the force of will power got me to the desk and 10 pages came along...

Anyone else slumping a little? Enjoying? Blissful?

I'm on cruise control, but almost lost a day's worth because I just bought a new bike. I was having too much fun zipping around town... yet I'm back on and about 5 pages ahead of schedule.

Congrats on the 10 pages.

Decided not to do it this year, I'm on the third rewrite on a script I started in Jan. (Actually it's the one I did last year.) I really want to finish it and not worry about starting a new one. But not sure if I will do that or NaNoWriMo anymore. They were great when I had no motivation to write but now I don't have that problem.

Frenzy was interesting. What I learned was that writing a script is a great way to plot out a novel. Since a script is so short and so spare, I could pick up plot holes and character inconsistencies much more easily than in a full novel or even a chapter by chapter outline (which is a little too short and spare). Having to focus on what people actually said and did helped me figure out who they were. And the need to show emotion through action was great practice for writing scenes. I would do Frenzy again if I had a story in the early stages, where scripting seems most useful.

NaNo I just found off-putting. Like TAS, I don't need the external motivation to write, and the constant pressure actually got in my way. Definitely not for me.

Congrats to all participants. Go, go, go! :D

M

M has inspired me to mention (again) what I got out of NaNo and Frenzy.

My basic problem is that I believe myself to be an inveterate tweaker: I always go back to "fix" what I've written and I am unlikely to change that behavior. This slows me down considerably and messes with my flow. But I am constitutionally incapable of leaving a plot point less then nailed down. Don't get me started on grammar and spelling errors. And I have spent hours sculpting the best possible sentence in a particular situation. :(

Nano taught me the value of a knowingly flawed first draft. Sometimes you have to plow through the action and ignore that you've confused "there", "their" and "they're" a page or so back, even if that knowledge is giving you muscle spasms in unmentionable places.

Frenzy was much easier (i.e., shorter) than Nano but the lesson was the same: write now, fix later.

"Here endeth the lesson." — from "The Untouchables" (1987) and some religious liturgy.

(Ten more to go, M.)

- T

• 2 weeks later...

Hoorrraaay. I just finished Script Frenzy. I can now say, "I wrote a screen play."

All I need is to work it out and fine tune it whenever, if ever, I choose to...

Now it's off to editing the pesky novel I converted into the said screenplay...

post-1432-0-39689500-1303745094_thumb.jpg

Archived