Storyist Forums

New member questions

Hello .... I just joined Storyist Forums but have not yet purchased the software. I'll be candid and admit I'm a bit overwhelmed from playing with the trial version. This is probably because I'm not familiar with any word processor ---- and it looks like I'm having trouble just posting this! I just tried to underline the word "any" in this sentence and I got what you see here. ??!!?? .... Never encountered that problem anywhere else. Anyway, my main concern is that I will be tied up for days/weeks just figuring out how to find my way in Storyist. As I was saying I've never had much need for any word processor. Being a photographer, I've gotten by with graphics software to do whatever little writing needed to be done. Now, however, I'm setting out to write that big novel most of us dream about, and I'm wondering how best to go about it. I was just about ready to go with Jer's Novel Writer because it looked less complicated

and I loved the relative unobtrusive interface. But it seems that program and/or person has more or less decided to "go away" and he's taken online

contact with him. Short trials with other writing software also left me apprehensive, for one reason or another. What I need is reassurance that Storyist is ... what I need! I am far from being a "techie". I simply don't want to waste a lot of time figuring out buttons and sliders, etc. I want simply to write, although I'm certainly open to any features that will help me be better organized and creative. So....if anyone out there can hold my hand and give me some advice and how to proceed in baby steps, or whatever, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Hi, Landsmann:

I would suggest that you figure out the most basic things you need to do first, and give yourself permission to learn the software slowly. Storyist is a great program, and it's a good place to start your book, because it will let you use more and more of its features as you grow more comfortable with the program.

When I first encountered it, I didn't try to use all the bells and whistles. I wrote text in the manuscript, adding chapters and sections as I went (actually, I imported a huge manuscript from Word, but it's much easier if you're starting from scratch), and set up character sheets, setting sheets, and notes. That was it. I added in other things as I went along, but only once I figured out exactly what I could do with them. Even now, I primarily work out scenes in the text or in a note, then write them—although I do have full sets of character and setting sheets (wonderful for those moments when you can't remember what a minor character looked like), as well as woefully out-of-date chapter descriptions, plot structures, and a timeline (on virtual index cards).

The manual is pretty good, and there are introductory tutorials and such if you're not a manual reader. You can also post specific questions in the "Using Storyist" forum, and people will be happy to answer them. In fact, Steve (the developer) checks the forums most days and will answer them himself.

Bookmarks are useful for marking places you want to come back to. Click on your text, click the blue bookmark icon at the top of the screen, give the bookmark a name. Comments are good if you need a longer reminder than a bookmark can supply. And the search box (top right corner) is invaluable: type a term, and Storyist will find every instance of that term in text and sheets. Want to know how often you used the word "insidious"? It will tell you! It won't even cringe, although you may. :)

Windows, links, even images can wait. But if you learn the basics now, one day you'll be glad you have those options. A basic word processor can't offer anywhere close to the support for your writing that Storyist does.

Best, and welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

Thanks so much for your helpful advice on how to proceed with Storyist. The mental gymnastics of preparing to write my very first book are dominating all my waking (and some sleeping) hours these days. I don't welcome any additional challenges from writing software. But, as you say, I'm sure I'll learn what I need to learn by simply sitting down, digging in, and finding my voice for the story that's brewing inside. Thanks again!

landsmann

• 1 month later...

Writing is something like laying concrete: get the base down and you can smooth it out afterwards. Like concrete, you can't wait too long, or you'll forget what you intended to do. Keep at it!

Joe

Archived