Storyist Forums

When Did You Last Submit?

pjl

As I have just submitted my first piece of short fiction in nigh on eleven years (there's also a Detective novel, but that's a different monster altogether), I was wondering if my fellow Storyist's (sp?) had their own stories to share?

My last submission was a full length novel at the age of around age 21/22, a thriller crossed with a ghost story set in Key West, Florida. I had many encouraging letters of feedback, but alas no firm offer of representation. Shortly thereafter I submitted around a dozen stories to various magazines and once more gained a lot of positive feedback. Around about that time life got in the way and I stopped, not writing, but sending my work off. In the following years I became a serial purger. Finishing work then trashing that work almost immediately.

Now, after all those years I've dipped my toes in the muddy waters of the paying markets once again, and it feels kind of weird. A mix of excitement and anxiety.

So what do you feel about submissions? Have anything doing the rounds? How does it feel to you?

PJ

As I have just submitted my first piece of short fiction in nigh on eleven years (there's also a Detective novel, but that's a different monster altogether), I was wondering if my fellow Storyist's (sp?) had their own stories to share?

My last submission was a full length novel at the age of around age 21/22, a thriller crossed with a ghost story set in Key West, Florida. I had many encouraging letters of feedback, but alas no firm offer of representation. Shortly thereafter I submitted around a dozen stories to various magazines and once more gained a lot of positive feedback. Around about that time life got in the way and I stopped, not writing, but sending my work off. In the following years I became a serial purger. Finishing work then trashing that work almost immediately.

Now, after all those years I've dipped my toes in the muddy waters of the paying markets once again, and it feels kind of weird. A mix of excitement and anxiety.

So what do you feel about submissions? Have anything doing the rounds? How does it feel to you?

PJ

I love writing and hate submitting. My first attempt was a Star Trek novel, which I started 12 years ago and rewrote umpteen times because I knew Pocket Books would never accept the original plot. Found an agent, sent it in, nothing happened. Eventually I got some intern on the phone who admitted that they'd lost the manuscript. Sent it in again, to the intern's attention. Eventually received a nice form letter saying it was very well written but violated their submission guidelines as to plot because I'd invented a childhood friend for Spock. That month Pocket Books published two Star Trek novels, giving Spock a childhood friend in one and a niece in the other!

I rewrote that story into a pair of general SF novels and still hope to publish them one day--although they need a major rewrite as I learn more about the craft. When they didn't go anywhere the first time--another round of "well written but no thanks" (then again, what are agents going to say? Don't give up your day job?)--I stopped writing fiction for about 10 years, until a new idea came to me last summer and I began writing it down. By then, the original agent had stopped handling fiction, so I had to start again from scratch.

My current novel, unrelated to the 2 SF books, is going the rounds. The general consensus seems to be "we love the middle and can tolerate the end, so find the magic formula that fixes the beginning and you're set." Unfortunately, opinions as to what would fix the beginning vary wildly, and the various agents, editors, and critique partners have begun arguing with one another, until I'm ready to retreat into a nice padded cell and pound my head against the wall. But I've learned a great deal in the process, so I suppose it's been worthwhile (maybe). I'm totally sick of this story by now, though, and can't wait to get it off my hands.

The whole submissions process is a roller-coaster, as far as I can tell. The minute I send anything out I zoom between hope and despair. Rejections send me into a tail spin for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks, then I think of a new angle and start over again. The worst part for me is the arbitrariness. Publishing seems to be a matter of lucking into the right person at the right time. Once you have your foot in the door, the rules change and it becomes much easier.

What keeps me going is the thought that these days, I don't really need a publisher. I could put the book on the Internet anytime I want. The only reason I haven't done so already is because I'd like to make absolutely sure I can't get someone to pay for my work....

In any case, do keep us posted. We'll all cross our fingers for you, I'm sure!

Best,

Marguerite

Archived