Storyist Forums

Steve's Video

Steve E

Hi.

Whether you've joined the Frenzy this year or not, you might be interested in Steve's inspirational instructional video on ways of plowing through the Act II doldrums. You can also leave a comment if you're registered.

Click here. Enjoy.

- Thoth

Thanks for the link, Thoth. I wasn't able to watch the video (nice job, Steve! :D) until today because of the Script Frenzy computers getting caught up in Amazon.com's cloud problems more or less the minute you made your post.

Although I'm not participating this year, I do have one tip to add that I found useful last year. I got a lot of mileage (and pages) from letting myself range beyond the constraints of a shooting script: writing down characters' thoughts and perceptions of a situation and their emotional responses. Also scene descriptions, settings, costumes. I could justify this because I wasn't really aiming for a workable script; instead I was charting the overall course for the second half of my novel. But I found it useful in terms of helping me figure out who my characters were, how each of them reacted individually to situations, what they looked like and sounded like, what props were available for them to act on, and much more. This tip is along the line of the "deleted scenes" suggestion but can be spread among your existing scenes.

Only about 10% of the script made it into the novel draft, but those 30 days really paid off in terms of figuring out what story I was trying to tell.

How are people doing with their scripts, anyway? What do other people do to get through the doldrums?

Love the idea of the blooper reel!

Best,

M

Thanks! That was great to hear...

I got through the 3rd week by not touching my script/book/ manuscript ( what do you call a graphic novel?) Instead I entertained my 18 year old sister in law to be - visiting San Diego for the first time- so I had a vacation week- Disneyland, Los Angles, San Diego Zoo, Wild Safari Park, La Jolla cove with the seals...

I think it's an excellent reason to be wildly behind...

I'm wondering if I can finish...

I got through the 3rd week by not touching my script/book/ manuscript ( what do you call a graphic novel?)

Call it a graphic novel. It'll thank you.

Instead I entertained my 18 year old sister in law to be - visiting San Diego for the first time- so I had a vacation week- Disneyland, Los Angles, San Diego Zoo, Wild Safari Park, La Jolla cove with the seals...

Hot damn! Now that's entertainment. (Can I be your 18-year old sister? Please?)

I think it's an excellent reason to be wildly behind...

Most excellent, Fizchick.

I'm wondering if I can finish...

I wouldn't doubt you for a moment.

-Thoth

Archived