Storyist Forums

Baseline grid: Can you lock type to it?

jimbee

One thing I find tremendously helpful in printing a book is the ability to set up a baseline grid and lock type to it. I did not see anything in the Storyist user's manual about that capability. Did I miss it? Is that something Storyist can do? Or could do?

Thanks for any advice,

Jim

Hi, Jim:

You can certainly set up styles with exact leading (click on a style, choose Format > Style > Edit current style, and select Exactly from the pull down menu next to line spacing and a point size from the box below; click "OK" to save your changes, and all paragraphs with that style update). That's not a baseline grid like the one in InDesign, where text snaps to the next line on the grid, but it does give you a lot of flexibility to place items, especially if you combine it with the "Before Paragraph" and "After Paragraph" attributes. And if you don't want to apply the new setting to every paragraph but only to one or two, you can alter them as you go via the Inspector (that blue button in the toolbar).

As to whether a baseline grid will materialize, only Steve can say! That's a fairly advanced typesetting option for a word processor/database management program, though.

Best, and welcome to the forums.

Marguerite

Archived