Storyist Forums

creating header

dennis7490

I imported a script from Final Draft. Looks good. But, I cannot get the page number where I want them. It says go to header an insert. There is no header, and I cannot find out where to go to create a header. Can anyone help me. I don't want a header, but I do want page numbers in the upper right corner.

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forums.

I imported a script from Final Draft. Looks good. But, I cannot get the page number where I want them. It says go to header an insert. There is no header, and I cannot find out where to go to create a header. Can anyone help me. I don't want a header, but I do want page numbers in the upper right corner.

I've attached a screenshot that shows an imported Final Draft file with page numbers in the upper right corner. Here is how to get these results:

1. Create a new project from the "Blank" project template.
  2. Drag your Final Draft file to the Project view (I used "The Swans of Brooklyn - script", which is one of the Final Draft demo files).
  3. Choose View > Show Page Guides to see where the headers are.
  4. Choose View > Show Rulers to make the rulers visible.
  5. Place the cursor in the header. Note that the cursor changes to the I-beam when you hover over the header.
  6. To insert the page number, choose Edit > Insert Page Number.
  7. To right align the page number, choose Format > Text > Align Right.
  8. Drag the right tab stop in the rule to the 7" mark (or whatever right margin you want to use).

If you want to omit the page number from the first page:

1. Choose Format > Page to bring up the Page Attributes inspector. (You can see what it looks like in the screenshot.)
  2. Click the "Different first page header" checkbox.
  3. Delete the header text (just the page number in this case) on the first page.

If you want to change the spacing between the top of the page and the top of the header:

1. Choose Format > Page to bring up the Page Attributes inspector.
  2. Set your desired value in the Spacing control in the Header section.

One thing to note about Final Draft files: In the Final Draft document model, left and right page margins are zero. This is why the gray page guide lines stretch from page edge to page edge in Final Draft files, but not in the templates.

-Steve

FinalDraftPageNumbering.png

Grazzi! Grazzi! grazzi! so easy.

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forums.

I've attached a screenshot that shows an imported Final Draft file with page numbers in the upper right corner. Here is how to get these results:

2. Create a new project from the "Blank" project template.
  3. Drag your Final Draft file to the Project view (I used "The Swans of Brooklyn - script", which is one of the Final Draft demo files).
  4. Choose View > Show Page Guides to see where the headers are.
  5. Choose View > Show Rulers to make the rulers visible.
  6. Place the cursor in the header. Note that the cursor changes to the I-beam when you hover over the header.
  7. To insert the page number, choose Edit > Insert Page Number.
  8. To right align the page number, choose Format > Text > Align Right.
  9. Drag the right tab stop in the rule to the 7" mark (or whatever left margin you want to use).

If you want to omit the page number from the first page:

2. Choose Format > Page to bring up the Page Attributes inspector. (You can see what it looks like in the screenshot.)
  3. Click the "Different first page header" checkbox.
  4. Delete the header text (just the page number in this case) on the first page.

If you want to change the spacing between the top of the page and the top of the header:

2. Choose Format > Page to bring up the Page Attributes inspector.
  3. Set your desired value in the Spacing control in the Header section.

One thing to note about Final Draft files: In the Final Draft document model, left and right page margins are zero. This is why the gray page guide lines stretch from page edge to page edge in Final Draft files, but not in the templates.

-Steve

Archived