Storyist Forums

Ipad, storyist and work flow until the app comes out

nadinbrzezinski

Ok I got the draft zero done on the IPAD, on PAGES, mostly...

I exported and copied and pasted into Storysit

Now in the process of doing more on characters before moving to draft one...

how do you do the work flow? The copy\paste to notes and characters was... interesting, to say the least. The manuscript itself went fine... and at 76K and change I have space for the edits, growth and chopping of the editing process. Also tracking changes... I might have to do that in word I know, but still (bad habit)

I was thinking of using IA Write for each chapter, focussed writing mode and all, but... open to ideas.

(Yes I am revisiting a gaming world, and reworked the whole thing into a more adult novel)

Oh and once the Storyist comes out fo the IPAD will go there and get it... count me in.

Seems I found the answer... BENTO. Been resisting getting this for years. I mean the early version I never could figure out. Anyhow, the template exchange has a great Fiction (novel) template, that allows me to write those sketches in bento. Yes, some copy\paste will be involved in my future, but IT WORKS, for the character shtick. It also has a nice template for research... that other side of life for me. So that will come pretty handy... I think. Devonthink has left something to be desired and while scriv is great FOR THAT.... simplenote is not exactly what I'd call great.

Once this comes out for the IPAD, I guess all those games will be done with... though. That said Bento will be useful for the history of labor I am working on.

Once this comes out for the IPAD, I guess all those games will be done with... though. That said Bento will be useful for the history of labor I am working on.

I raise my virtual glass to an end to "all those games".

Wishing you much luck with your project, Nadin.

-Thoth

BTW: I like Bento but I love FileMaker Pro.

I raise my virtual glass to an end to "all those games".

Wishing you much luck with your project, Nadin.

-Thoth

BTW: I like Bento but I love FileMaker Pro.

Even at half off, it was a tad too rich for my blood. Also the IPAD APP and the one on the putter play well with each other.

... Also the IPAD APP and the one on the putter [computer] play well with each other.

Always a good sign.

Nice of you to mention it for the people out there considering a database management program.

-T

Yes the draft is written, but still going through it. It will help in the editing process. Always writing the summaries helps to distill what the thing is about.

I know this is very weird but I find that I have to write a first draft before I can write what I consider a decent summary. I guess that's why I have so little use for the index card feature.

I know what you mean... why each writer works in their own way... and yes how too books are good, only as guidance. You need to find how you work. For me short stories also help to set the mood and the characters.

Steven King once said that his writing process is like an archeological dig: he uncovers a bit here, a bit there, and then he uncovers the bridge between the bits; lastly he dusts off the statue and polishes it. Sir Arthur C. Clarke took copious notes and then sat down and wrote, linearly, from beginning to end, in one marathon session. Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone with the Wind in bed (which would have been much easier with an iPad). Yes. Everybody's different.

- Thoth

Last year I hurt my back twice, bad enough where yes, I ended up in bed. (Actually a really old EMS injury coming back to hunt me)... I discovered the joy of writing on the Ipad, in front of the sofa. I like my Netbook, don't get me wrong. but the IPAD excels at writing on couch... (in front of the TV for noise)...

B)

... but the IPAD excels at writing on couch... (in front of the TV for noise)...

It's funny. Sometimes I feel like I need absolute quiet to write. Other times I feel I do my best work with two TVs blasting on different channels and the grandkids running around, screaming and fighting for attention. The writers mind is strange indeed.

-T

I know this is very weird but I find that I have to write a first draft before I can write what I consider a decent summary. I guess that's why I have so little use for the index card feature.

For what it's worth, I use the index card feature, during writing or rewriting, when I want to sketch a plot segment. It's quicker to type a series of incidents on individual index cards spread out across the corkboard than to do anything else except type a note. But unlike notes, the cards are discrete, so I can easily drag them around if I decide B should precede A. Once I have the whole sequence set up, I expand the cards as much as possible, take a snapshot for printing, then keep the cards only until I'm done with that segment.

Just a thought. Your needs may vary.

Best,

M

... Once I have the whole sequence set up, I expand the cards as much as possible, take a snapshot for printing, then keep the cards only until I'm done with that segment. ... Just a thought. Your needs may vary.

Indeed they do.

-T

• 2 weeks later...

Been away due to a death in the family, but... I must say I have had time to mull over work flows, as well as well... death and fiction. Let's just say using an IPOD touch for a sentence here, a paragraph there, The slowest ever short story... on an ipod...

Advise for the wary, if your Macbook starts having mouse issues, check battery. If swollen remove...

Been away due to a death in the family, ...

Our condolences.

Advise for the wary, if your Macbook starts having mouse issues, check battery. If swollen remove...

Swollen batteries? Never a good sign.

Once they get pregnant and start breeding they take over quickly.

Who you gonna call? Radio Shack.

-Thoth

We thought the mouse issue meant motherboard, we thought my eight year old macbook was about to reach the end of it's life, no pun. Hey, eight years is not bad.

When the battery swells up, it puts pressure on the pad, and prevents any mouse, internal or external, from working.

Just printed that story... will also import to storyist...

I need to see if it is even consistent.

:rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Oh how cool, the template I downloaded is essentially the snowflake method....

How cool is that?

Yes the draft is written, but still going through it. It will help in the editing process. Always writing the summaries helps to distill what the thing is about.

Can I ask which template that was? And does it work with the current version of the Storyist iPad app? I have been having troubles trying to use some of the older ones :(

Micah

Hi, Micah, and welcome to the forums!

Not sure exactly which template you are looking for. The very old templates from Storyist 1.X do have to be converted to work with the iPad. Some already have been. Others can be, if you ask for something specific. Any template from Storyist 2.X should work fine with the iPad app.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi, Micah, and welcome to the forums!

Not sure exactly which template you are looking for. The very old templates from Storyist 1.X do have to be converted to work with the iPad. Some already have been. Others can be, if you ask for something specific. Any template from Storyist 2.X should work fine with the iPad app.

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks. I was specifically looking for the template you downloaded that was "essentially the snowflake method". Do you happen to know which that is?

Oh, now I get it. You misunderstood. Nadin downloaded a template for Bento that was essentially the snowflake method.

He checks in sometimes and may be able to tell you what it was. It wasn't a Storyist template. He may have made one for Storyist by now, though.

Best,

M

Archived