Storyist Forums

I love it so far, but one question...

necropol

So far, I am loving this app. But I am curious... how does one get to that split-screen view with the column of index cards on the left and the main writing workspace on the right? Or is that not an actual feature but just an abstraction used for promotional purposes? Because if it's not an actual feature, it tops my request list...

So far, I am loving this app. But I am curious... how does one get to that split-screen view with the column of index cards on the left and the main writing workspace on the right? Or is that not an actual feature but just an abstraction used for promotional purposes? Because if it's not an actual feature, it tops my request list...

Whoops! Never mind, I found it! This just became my default writing app. :)

Whoops! Never mind, I found it! This just became my default writing app. :)

Thanks necropol.

In case anyone else is wondering, to arrange the view so that index cards are on the left and the manuscript on the right:

1. Turn your iPad to the landscape orientation.
  2. Open a Storyist text file or a Final Draft file. (RTF and plain text files don't support card info).
  3. Tap the Outline button in the toolbar.
  4. Tap the thumb tack in the popover that appears to pin the view open. (This is optional).
  5. Tap the index card button (the four squares) at the bottom of the outline view to switch to index card view.

-Steve

Manuscript-and-Cards-400.png

• 1 year later...

What am I missing here. Have been using Storyist on Mac for last few months and went to Storyist iPad to do some editing, but 1) can't find a way to close documents, 2) if I double click to open a .story file in Dropbox iI get a 'Can't read...' error even though I can open the same file from within Storyist, and 3) I should be able to navigate between Dropbox-Storyist-Dropbox, but there is no navigation out available from Storyist iPad.

What am I missing?

Johnboy :wacko:

Feeling a tad cautious in case I am the one missing something, but in brief:

1. Tap the back arrow to close any manuscript, sheet, or project.

2. Tap the import button to copy the Dropbox file before opening it, or turn on Dropbox Sync in Settings > Storyist to sync both ways at a touch.

3. Tap the Export button and choose Copy to Dropbox, or the Dropbox Sync button if you have turned it in as in 2.

If any of these instructions are unclear, you can find more information in the Getting Started project.

Best,

Marguerite

Johnboy,

On the iPad, if you removed it from the list of projects (is that what you mean?), you would delete it. Permanently. And if you then synched to Dropbox, you would remove it from there, too.

If that is what you want to do, tap the Edit button at the top right hand of the window that displays all current projects, tap the file you want to remove, and then tap the trash can icon that has appeared in the top left corner. Confirm the delete, and it's gone. The only way to retrieve it is to copy it back from your Mac to Dropbox or iTunes and re-import from there.

The Edit button also gives you the option to export to iTunes first, in case you just want it gone from the Storyist app. You can then save it to your Mac next time you connect the iPad or reopen it in Storyist whenever you like.

Hope that helps.

M

Hi Johnboy,

Just to underscore what Marguerite said: Storyist for iPad's top-level My Projects view shows you the list of files that Storyist can access on your iPad. Deleting a file from this view will delete it from your iPad.

-Steve

Marguerite, Steve

I think you've answered my question. I was looking to hide all of the files in My Projects except the one I was working on, but I guess that would require another layer of the hierarchical. It wouldn't matter to me if there was a way to lock the app from view. I just don't like sharing the rest of the iPad with another user without hiding or locking the Storyist files. Maybe someday...

Thanks for your inputs and assistance.

Archived