Storyist Forums

Keyboard customization

Steve

In another thread, uneulv suggests allowing customization of the virtual keyboard. This is on my personal wish list too.

While Apple doesn't provide a mechanism for customization of the standard keyboard (the keys on the QWERTY row and below), I can control which keys are displayed in the extended keyboard.

I've got some ideas in mind for iOS 5, and will probably make the enhancements then.

-Steve

In another thread, uneulv suggests allowing customization of the virtual keyboard. This is on my personal wish list too.

While Apple doesn't provide a mechanism for customization of the standard keyboard (the keys on the QWERTY row and below), I can control which keys are displayed in the extended keyboard.

I've got some ideas in mind for iOS 5, and will probably make the enhancements then.

-Steve

I know it would be a major bit of programming and falls more into the "wish upon a star" category than anything readily doable in the near future, I would like to see a row of predictive text word choices. For a slow typist like me (and one prone to typos), it'd be an invaluable assist...

I am a big fan of extended keyboards, probably because I am a very poor typist and any help to speed me up in my "text entry" is most appreciated. In fact, I bought a number of text editors just to try their extended keyboards...

Storyist's implementation is a good start but could be improved! First, there is room in the middle of the extra row for 4 to 8 more keys (especially if the size of the existing extra keys is reduced -- they are a little oversized for my taste and fingers), so why not use that space? For writing English text, my choices for these keys would be

- : ; ( ) / ! ? 

(I use the last two a lot especially in notes to myself and having to shift for ? or for ! on the built-in keyboard does slow me down.)

Second, a user-definable extra key row (or two?) would be very desirable. A number of editors have this feature (Notify, Nebulous Notes, Fast Keyboard, Heart Writer, DNoteIt, iAWriter, Writings, My Notebook!, and others) and some even have macros and desktop type shortcuts and extensive navigation keys. Once you get spoiled by the ability to set it up to your own personal preferences, you wonder how you lived without it! At least I did.

I would love to hear from people about their favorite ways of efficient text entry. Perhaps we could start a discussion here to help Steve decide on how to develop this fundamental  basic feature for any writing app?

Dee

PS I understand iOS 5 may bring some changes in the built-in keyboard, so Steve is smart to wait and see right now. But since this is on his own personal wish list I feel secure that development of this feature is in the works!  :-)

I also completely agree with Michael that the same expanded keyboard should be available when typing on the cards (the colors perhaps could be in a tap and hold popup menu?)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived