Storyist Forums

Index Cards view not working properly

CorStellae

Hello,

Today I've been able to create sections within my document, using the style palette. I haven't been able to create a style from within the iPad (I guess that feature doesn't exist yet). So I went to Storyist for Mac, created my styles, and opened the document on my iPad again.

So far, I only have two levels of titles: chapter (or bigger section) and subsection.

Here I found something odd: when I activated the cards view (cards only, not cards + text) the first time, the chapters look like cards, but the second level (sections) looks like notes instead of cards (only a title on a yellow box). After a while (and even after restarting the app), the Index Cards view doesn't show cards at all, only titles on a yellow rectangle.

But, when I activate the Index Cards on the left panel, everything is fine: they all look like index cards. They also look like index cards on the Mac version.

I've also activated in the preferences the "Show body text" function, but I can't see any text on the cards. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Hi CorStellae,

There are two display options that affect the index card view:

1) The "Show Body Text" setting in the File Options view. When set to ON (the default), outlines and index cards views show body text sections in addition to headings. When set to OFF, they only show headings. Most novelists and screenwriters want to see the body text sections, but if you prefer to write at the chapter level or are writing non-fiction, you may prefer to have them off. You can change this setting by tapping the Outline button and then tapping the File Options (gear) button in the footer of the view.

2) The Heading "Show as Labels" setting in the Appearance setting in the index card view. When set to ON, headings are shown as labels rather than index cards. When set to OFF, headings are displayed as index cards.

It sounds like you may have turned body text off and labels on.

I've attached some screenshots that show the effect of these settings.

-Steve

Hello,

Today I've been able to create sections within my document, using the style palette. I haven't been able to create a style from within the iPad (I guess that feature doesn't exist yet). So I went to Storyist for Mac, created my styles, and opened the document on my iPad again.

So far, I only have two levels of titles: chapter (or bigger section) and subsection.

Here I found something odd: when I activated the cards view (cards only, not cards + text) the first time, the chapters look like cards, but the second level (sections) looks like notes instead of cards (only a title on a yellow box). After a while (and even after restarting the app), the Index Cards view doesn't show cards at all, only titles on a yellow rectangle.

But, when I activate the Index Cards on the left panel, everything is fine: they all look like index cards. They also look like index cards on the Mac version.

I've also activated in the preferences the "Show body text" function, but I can't see any text on the cards. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

Headings-as-Cards.png

Headings-as-Labels-Body-Text-Off.png

Headings-as-Labels.png

Archived