Storyist Forums

Selection stops working properly until reopen document

CorStellae

Hello,

After a while opened (I still don't know how long), selection tools stop working properly. When I hightlight a word and want to select more words or lines, the drag and drop points stop working. Instead of selecting them in order to increase the size of my selection, all I do is move the page around. The problem corrected itself after I restarted the iPad. My boyfriend, who is also using the program, says it's closing the document and reopen it is enough.

Hi CorStellae,

On it. I'm trying to reproduce this now. If you have any tips (how long, specific operations or steps, etc...) please let me know.

If it happens again, could you try closing and reopening the document? If it works (as your boyfriend suggests), knowing this will help me narrow down the possibilities. If it doesn't it is likely an iOS bug that I'll need to work around.

-Steve

Hello,

After a while opened (I still don't know how long), selection tools stop working properly. When I hightlight a word and want to select more words or lines, the drag and drop points stop working. Instead of selecting them in order to increase the size of my selection, all I do is move the page around. The problem corrected itself after I restarted the iPad. My boyfriend, who is also using the program, says it's closing the document and reopen it is enough.

I'll try to find out what I'm doing that provokes this. Yesterday it just started to happen a few minutes after I started using the program, but I hadn't restarted the iPad since I installed it. My boyfriend is certain that closing and reopening the document fixes it.

Hello Steve,

Yesterday I was able to work extensively on Storyist for iPad. The selection issue happened about three times (maybe more). Apparently, it's primarily triggered by extensive selecting. I mean, I was selecting text, applying styles, selecting more text, cutting and pasting, etc. So, after a while selecting here and there, it just stops selecting at all.

I didn't have to restart the iPad, not even the app. All I had to do was closing the document, and open it again, and selection points started working properly again.

Hope this helps.

Hi CorStellae,

Thanks for the follow up. I'm still trying to reproduce this here. So far we know:

* It seems to occur after heavy use, but you've seen it after a few minutes on at least one occasion.

* It may involve the style inspector.

* It may involve cutting and pasting text.

* It clears up if you leave the document and then come back.

Anything else? Is this the document a text-only doc, or does it contain images?

-Steve

Hello Steve,

Yesterday I was able to work extensively on Storyist for iPad. The selection issue happened about three times (maybe more). Apparently, it's primarily triggered by extensive selecting. I mean, I was selecting text, applying styles, selecting more text, cutting and pasting, etc. So, after a while selecting here and there, it just stops selecting at all.

I didn't have to restart the iPad, not even the app. All I had to do was closing the document, and open it again, and selection points started working properly again.

Hope this helps.

Hi CorStellae,

Thanks for the follow up. I'm still trying to reproduce this here. So far we know:

* It seems to occur after heavy use, but you've seen it after a few minutes on at least one occasion.

* It may involve the style inspector.

* It may involve cutting and pasting text.

* It clears up if you leave the document and then come back.

Anything else? Is this the document a text-only doc, or does it contain images?

-Steve

Your list is accurate. It's a text-only doc. At least twice it's happened right after I opened the app.

It may or may not involve styles, since my boyfriend doesn't use styles at all and he saw the problem on the first day.

Hi CorStellae,

Your list is accurate. It's a text-only doc. At least twice it's happened right after I opened the app.

It may or may not involve styles, since my boyfriend doesn't use styles at all and he saw the problem on the first day.

Another user reported this at the support address, and in his case, pinching to zoom clears the selection problem, and leaving the file is not necessary. The next time this happens to you, you might give this a try.

I'm still trying to reproduce the problem here. Some more questions for you when you get a chance:

* What is the configuration of the views?

* Are you editing in portrait or landscape?

* Is the outline pinned open?

* Does rotation seem to increase the chance of it happening?

* Are you on iPad 1 or 2? You probably mentioned this in another thread, but I can't seem to find it.

-Steve

Hi CorStellae,

I was able to reproduce this, and I believe I've fixed it.

BTW, another work-around is to dismiss the keyboard and then bring it up again.

Thanks for the report.

-Steve

Thank you for fixing it. About the keyboard, I forgot to mention that I use an external keyboard… But I'll try it either way, perhaps it works as well… :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived