Storyist Forums

A Change Command in the pull-down menu.

Steve E

This is a little one.

Most WPs separate Find and Change commands in menus. If someone were new to Storyist and was looking for Change they might be hard pressed to find it. It isn't even mentioned in the Help file.

Since the Find command includes the Change command, maybe just a Change command listed under the Find command in the pull-down menu will do. It could just take you to the same little screen.

This is a little one.

Most WPs separate Find and Change commands in menus. If someone were new to Storyist and was looking for Change they might be hard pressed to find it. It isn't even mentioned in the Help file.

Since the Find command includes the Change command, maybe just a Change command listed under the Find command in the pull-down menu will do. It could just take you to the same little screen.

I think Storyist uses the Mac standard--Safari, AppleWorks, etc. all work the same way. So I'm not sure that newbies will be befuddled. Still, I wouldn't mind being able to access Change from the menu or, better yet, a keystroke.

Marguerite

I think Storyist uses the Mac standard--Safari, AppleWorks, etc. all work the same way. So I'm not sure that newbies will be befuddled. Still, I wouldn't mind being able to access Change from the menu or, better yet, a keystroke.

Marguerite

I don't think Safari has a Change command. And AppleWorks, etc, specify "Find/Change" in their pull-down menus. Storyist doesn't specify Change in its pull-down menu but I don't think this rises to the level of a Mac standard violation. It's just a tad annoying...and perhaps a small violation of Storyist's own standard of quick access.

You are right, of course, that Storyist newbies are unlikely to be befuddled. Storyist users are clearly brilliant, intrepid folk who remain soberly unfuddled in the face of even the most daunting software (Consider how many of us still use the WP That Must Not Be Named!)

As ever, Your Observant,

-Thoth

I don't think Safari has a Change command. And AppleWorks, etc, specify "Find/Change" in their pull-down menus. Storyist doesn't specify Change in its pull-down menu but I don't think this rises to the level of a Mac standard violation. It's just a tad annoying...and perhaps a small violation of Storyist's own standard of quick access.

You are right, of course, that Storyist newbies are unlikely to be befuddled. Storyist users are clearly brilliant, intrepid folk who remain soberly unfuddled in the face of even the most daunting software (Consider how many of us still use the WP That Must Not Be Named!)

As ever, Your Observant,

-Thoth

Don't even talk to me about Darth Processor. The horrid thing crashed 8 times in a row on Saturday, so I'm back in paranoid "save every time I alter a sentence and sometimes in between" mode.

Something to do with Versions, from what I can tell from the Crash Log (not much, in my case, as my programming skills are zero). If I actually used Versions in this file, that might make sense to me, but I prefer the old-fashioned copy-and-store-under-another name approach. I can't tell you how many times I've hauled an old version out of the recesses of my computer and copied bits of it into the new. Apparently even the possibility of unused Versions sends Darth Processor round the bend.

You are correct, o Lord of Justice. Safari does not have a Change command. I was thinking of its Find command. No doubt Darth Processor was scrambling my circuits as well as its own. :(

All Storyist users are brilliant: if they weren't, would they be using Storyist? :lol:

Marguerite

Marguerite

Yes, the convention on the Mac is to place "Replace" functionality under the Edit > Find menu. You might argue that the menu item would be better titled "Find and Replace", but that is the convention. You can access it with the command-F shortcut.

-Steve

No doubt Darth Processor was scrambling my circuits as well as its own. :lol:

Marguerite

Mean old Darth Processor. But the Lady M doth rise brightly to the occasion.

(I suspect changing Find to Find/Change is too piddling an issue for Steve to address right now.)

As Ever,

The Lord Of Justice...er...your humble Thoth.

Yes, the convention on the Mac is to place "Replace" functionality under the Edit > Find menu. You might argue that the menu item would be better titled "Find and Replace", but that is the convention. You can access it with the command-F shortcut.

-Steve

Lord, I was deeper in the grip of Darth Processor than I thought. There the Replace command is in a whole separate window, accessed through the highly mnemonic Shift-Command-H. :lol: Maybe it's short for "Help me, somebody"? :(

Yes, of course, Storyist uses Command-F as a good program should.

Thanks, Steve.

Marguerite

Archived