Storyist Forums

Creating new styles on the iPad

CorStellae

14 members have voted

1. 1. How important is style creation and editing support to your writing workflow on iPad?

• Very important. Can't live without it.
    • Somewhat important.
    • Meh.
    • Not very important.
    • Please don't add it. It would clutter the interface.

Hi CorStellae,

As far as I can see, I can't create new styles from the iPad. I must use the desktop application for that.

There isn't a way to create styles in 1.0.

It would be really useful to be able to do it from the iPad, so I can add styles on the go.

I agree. I imagine it working the same way as Storyist for Mac:

1) You set up a paragraph with the formatting you want.

2) You then choose something like Tools > Style > Create Style from Selection

It would also be nice to be able to edit styles after you've created them. I'm not sure yet what the best way to do this is in touch interface. The simple approach would be to simply put up a dialog (like the Page Setup dialog) and allow you to step through the options. This seems inelegant, however, since it repeats many of the controls that you find in the inspector. Hopefully there is a better way.

I've added a poll so others can weigh in.

-Steve

Thank you for considering it. Right now, I also wish that a style can be edited on the go.

Besides that, I have a line that has a header style applied but lost it by mistake when I erased the line before, and, automatically, applied that style to the next line (the header). So, in spite the fact that it shows as having that style, on the Outline view appears as "Body text". Even though I have already reapplied the style to the whole paragraph, it remains like that. I'm renaming it manually but, shouldn't the outline update instantly if I apply a style to the text? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong again...

Hi CorStellae,

Even though I have already reapplied the style to the whole paragraph, it remains like that. I'm renaming it manually but, shouldn't the outline update instantly if I apply a style to the text? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong again...

You should be able to reapply the style by placing the cursor in some text, bringing up the Styles inspector, and tapping the style you want to reapply.

I'll do some experimenting. Do you have "Show Body Text" on or off?

-Steve

Archived