Storyist Forums

Notes on iPad and Mac

CorStellae

Hello Steve,

Today I had another problem concerning notes. I'll try to describe what's happening as clearly as possible.

1. I created a few notes in a section of my project on the iPad.

2. When I opened the project on the Mac version, the places where I had inserted notes had a bullet and a few spaces in them.

3. I erased the spaces and the bullet in the text, in the Mac version, saved the document, and reopened it on the iPad.

4. On the iPad I had normal text (no bullets, or spaces, because I had erased them on the Mac), the notes were still there.

5. I reopened the document on the Mac version and, again, I had the same trouble with the notes. I decided to explore the program, in order to find out if I could see the notes on the Mac version. So I activated something in the View menu, something like "View notes" (right now I'm on a PC, so I can't check). That changed the view of the document, the notes were there, but they were empty.

6. I saved the document and reopened it on the iPad.

7. Now, on the iPad, I got the same odd inserted bullet, surrounded by blank spaces (or tabs, I don't know) and the notes, even though they're there, they're empty.

I spent the next hour trying to restore an old version from Dropbox. Eventually, I recovered my notes, but I see some problems in the back and forth process.

Hi CorStellae,

It sounds like you're referring to comments (as opposed to notes in the Notes area of story sheets or general text files containing notes on your manuscript). If not, please let me know.

In Storyist for Mac, comments appear as inline note images when View > Show Comments is enabled as in the attached screenshot. If these are the "bullets" you're seeing, then deleting them will delete the comment. If not, a quick screenshot of the bullets would be most helpful.

One thing to "note" about comments in Storyist is that they are attached to a location (like in Open Office or Final Draft), not a range (like in Word).

The comments in the screenshot were created in Storyist for iPad and then synced to Dropbx.

-Steve

Hello Steve,

Today I had another problem concerning notes. I'll try to describe what's happening as clearly as possible.

1. I created a few notes in a section of my project on the iPad.

2. When I opened the project on the Mac version, the places where I had inserted notes had a bullet and a few spaces in them.

3. I erased the spaces and the bullet in the text, in the Mac version, saved the document, and reopened it on the iPad.

4. On the iPad I had normal text (no bullets, or spaces, because I had erased them on the Mac), the notes were still there.

5. I reopened the document on the Mac version and, again, I had the same trouble with the notes. I decided to explore the program, in order to find out if I could see the notes on the Mac version. So I activated something in the View menu, something like "View notes" (right now I'm on a PC, so I can't check). That changed the view of the document, the notes were there, but they were empty.

6. I saved the document and reopened it on the iPad.

7. Now, on the iPad, I got the same odd inserted bullet, surrounded by blank spaces (or tabs, I don't know) and the notes, even though they're there, they're empty.

I spent the next hour trying to restore an old version from Dropbox. Eventually, I recovered my notes, but I see some problems in the back and forth process.

StoryistScreenSnapz002.png

Hi CorStellae,

I think I see what you're reporting.

If you insert a comment in a bulleted paragraph on Storyist for iPad and then transfer it to Storyist for Mac, the list will contain an additional tab/bullet/tab sequence at the comment location when viewed on Storyist for Mac.

I know your ms makes frequent use of lists. I'm about to meet someone for dinner, but I'll post a fix and send you a link to it later tonight.

Thanks for the report.

-Steve

Archived