Storyist Forums

Sequences

Gusmcgee

I'm really enjoying this program as an alternative to Final Draft and wish I had found it sooner. But one thing I'd like to see is a way to organize the notecards into SEQUENCES - a collection of scenes. The Chase Sequence. The Bank Shoot-out sequence. The Death Star sequence. Etc. A lot of us think in sequences when plotting out our work, rather than every little INT. and EXT. Scene which can get overwhelming, especially if you were trying to plan something like the Mano a Mano sequence in Deathly Hallows...

Do you mean organize the note cards in the PLOT or NOTEBOOK collections (this is easy) or in the script itself (which I think is possible, in the same way as organizing scenes into acts is possible)?

If the latter, I'll leave Steve to answer, because I don't work with scripts much.

Best, and welcome to the forums.

Marguerite

Do you mean organize the note cards in the PLOT or NOTEBOOK collections (this is easy) or in the script itself (which I think is possible, in the same way as organizing scenes into acts is possible)?

If the latter, I'll leave Steve to answer, because I don't work with scripts much.

Best, and welcome to the forums.

Marguerite

Thanks! I guess I'm referring to the script itself. Right now there is a card attached/representing each scene. I'm wondering if there's a way to have a card represent a sequence of scenes, something like that. I watched the video on how to use the plot points, but those are separate and don't evolve with the screenplay like the cards do (unless you manually update the plot points every time you edit a scene.) I'm really enjoying this program as it is (especially with the iPad) and think it's amazing, but couldn't resist asking.

Hi Gusmcgee,

Thanks! I guess I'm referring to the script itself. Right now there is a card attached/representing each scene. I'm wondering if there's a way to have a card represent a sequence of scenes, something like that. I watched the video on how to use the plot points, but those are separate and don't evolve with the screenplay like the cards do (unless you manually update the plot points every time you edit a scene.) I'm really enjoying this program as it is (especially with the iPad) and think it's amazing, but couldn't resist asking.

If you're willing to have a heading for the sequence in the script itself (which isn't standard, but you can always remove them later), you can create a heading and use that to group scenes into sequences.

Joolissa posted a template that shows how you might accomplish this.

-Steve

Thanks for such a fast response! I found a thread in this forum from last year which echoes the same problem, only they pretty much nailed it. Nesting folders, without the use of templates and work-arounds, would make a lot of us very happy (er)! :rolleyes:

Thanks for such a fast response! I found a thread in this forum from last year which echoes the same problem, only they pretty much nailed it. Nesting folders, without the use of templates and work-arounds, would make a lot of us very happy (er)! :rolleyes:

I saw your post and was just about to respond there.

Since the feature would require a fairly significant change to the way Storyist handles scripts, this is probably a Storyist 3 feature.

Thanks for bumping the topic.

-Steve

• 3 months later...

Archived