Storyist Forums

Accents problem

CorStellae

Hi,

It's me again on the accents problem (I had talked about this on the topic about moving a project from Scrivener). Today I got the same problem again, but this time, I think I'm starting to figure out what's going on. These are the steps I followed:

1. I started typing with the "caps lock" key activated.

2. I tried to accent an uppercase letter. Since in Mac I can't accent a letter while caps lock is activated, this was the result (this is normal in Mac, I repeat): ´O

3. I deactivated the caps lock key.

4. I followed the normal procedure to accent an uppercase vowel. That would be: accent key (in my case, the one next to letter P) + shift + vowel. The result should be this: Ó, but actually it was this: ´O.

5. After that, I tried to accent a lowercase vowel, but neither uppercase or lowercase letters were displayed properly.

6. I restarted the program.

7. Everything went back to normal and I was able to type accented letters without any problem.

I've tried to reproduce the issue, but I wasn't able to do it. So there must be something happening at some point of the process that triggers that particular bug. Before that, all I've been doing is creating and applying styles on my document.

Hope this helps.

Okay… it happened again. After a while setting styles and applying them, accents stopped working again. I restarted the program, the problem solved. When I started to work on the next paragraph, the problem started again… :angry:

I'm still not seeing this here and I got some mail from Marguerite saying she couldn't either. I probably don't have the right system configuration. Could you let me know:

1) What version of OS X you're on.

2) What keyboard configuration you're using. You can find this in the System Preferences in the International panel.

3) Whether you have any text add ons installed. These would be utilities that claim to work in any app.

4) If you're running Snow Leopard or later, do you have any text-related services installed? The easiest way to check would be to select some text, right click to bring up the context menu, and see what is available under the Services menu.

-Steve

Since the problem persisted the whole afternoon (I gave up restarting the program), I'm certain this is not my crazy computer issue. Something, somewhere is provoking this. These are the answers to your questions:

1) Snow Leopard 10.6.8

2) Keyboard configuration: Español (Spanish, not Spanish ISO)

3) Text add ons: I hope none. I avoid them. As far as I know, I haven't installed any (such as autocomplete or autocorrect software).

4) Text-related services: mostly sending text to DevonThink Pro, Circus Ponies Notebooks, Nisus Writer Pro, Translate It!, and Omnioutliner (trial).

Thank you very much Steve.

Found it! And you're not going to believe it.

The Styles inspector is the culprit.

If you have the Styles inspector open when you type the first character of a multi key-sequence (e.g. Option+E), the Styles inspector makes a call that has the side effect of clearing the marked text (the text with the yellow selection), so the sequence completes.

The work-around is to not open the Styles inspector. You can open any of the other inspectors (Text Attributes, Page Attributes, Writing Goals) without triggering the issue.

I'll have a fix for you shortly.

-Steve

Found it! And you're not going to believe it.

The Styles inspector is the culprit.

If you have the Styles inspector open when you type the first character of a multi key-sequence (e.g. Option+E), the Styles inspector makes a call that has the side effect of clearing the marked text (the text with the yellow selection), so the sequence completes.

The work-around is to not open the Styles inspector. You can open any of the other inspectors (Text Attributes, Page Attributes, Writing Goals) without triggering the issue.

I'll have a fix for you shortly.

-Steve

Wow!!! That's wonderful news. The fact that I'm writing a non fictional work, highly formatted, and in Spanish certainly is a trigger for such a bizarre bug. Thank you very much for finding it. :lol:

Wow!!! That's wonderful news. The fact that I'm writing a non fictional work, highly formatted, and in Spanish certainly is a trigger for such a bizarre bug. Thank you very much for finding it. :lol:

That was a bizarre one. If I hadn't been looking into your styles question, I'm not sure I would have found it. You can download the fix (2.3.4b2) here.

-Steve

• 1 month later...

Hello Steve,

At some point I downloaded an update, and my Storyist, somehow, now has lost the ability to write correctly accented words at all. I hadn't noticed this because I mainly write on the iPad; right now I mainly use the Mac version for non writing stuff, such as applying styles or reorganizing a project. But I was trying to write a little bit on my MBP, and now the problem is clear: I can't write accents at all. Should I go back to the older version, the one I had downloaded from the link above?

My current version is Storyist 2.3.3 (1472).

Hi CorStellae,

The version linked above (2.3.4bb2) is newer than the released version (2.3.3). Go ahead and redownload the version linked above.

-Steve

Hello Steve,

At some point I downloaded an update, and my Storyist, somehow, now has lost the ability to write correctly accented words at all. I hadn't noticed this because I mainly write on the iPad; right now I mainly use the Mac version for non writing stuff, such as applying styles or reorganizing a project. But I was trying to write a little bit on my MBP, and now the problem is clear: I can't write accents at all. Should I go back to the older version, the one I had downloaded from the link above?

My current version is Storyist 2.3.3 (1472).

Archived