Storyist Forums

Issue in 1.0 with filename compatibility with Storyist for Mac

Steve

Hi Everyone,

In helping someone via email, I discovered a file naming issue that could effect Storyist for Mac's ability to open a project created in Storyist for iPad 1.0. Fortunately there is an easy work-around.

In 1.0, extended characters in the project filename trigger a bug in a library that Storyist uses to store metadata about text files in the project. When you open the project file on your Mac, Storyist for Mac can't find the metadata, so it assumes one or more text files are missing. They aren't. They're still there, but the Mac version can't locate them.

The work-around in 1.0 is to remove these extended characters from the project file name. I've fixed this for version 1.0.1, which I'll send to Apple early next week.

You're most likely to encounter this in the following scenario:

• You're using the default device name assigned to your iPad by iTunes, which is "’s iPad." For example, mine is "Steve’s iPad." Note the curly single quote in the device name.
  • You've edited a file on both Mac and iPad since the last sync.
  • You tap the Sync button and Storyist renames your local version to avoid the conflict. For example, if you had a file named "Novel," the name of the conflict file would be named "Novel (Steve’s iPad's version 2011-08-12).story"

If you then edited the conflict file on the iPad and synced it to Dropbox, Storyist for Mac would not be able to open it.

However, if you rename the file so that the curly single quote is a straight quote and resync, you should be all set.

-Steve

Archived