Storyist Forums

First try, and a few bugs...

kettch

Hi there ! I'm giving Storyist (1.3.3) a try for the first time, and I'm already finding a few bugs in the software... :lol:

So here they are :

• The first one happens in Storyboard view, here are the steps to reproduce :

- Go to characters

- Having two or more characters in the view, select the first one

- Right-click on the second one, and choose 'Delete'

- The expected behavior is for the 2d one to be deleted, but the selected one gets deleted instead

• And the second one, in the character edition :

- In Character Development Points, add a new Character Point

- Select the text "Character Point Description" that gets created, from the right to the left

- You'll notice you can select the tab before the text

- Try typing something, and the app freezes

- If only the tab before the text is selected, nothing happens. The problem only occurs when the tab is selected with some text

So far it looks nice and damn useful, and the bugs aren't really blocking.... So I'll go on testing the app !

Hi Kettch,

Thanks for trying Storyist and for posting the feedback!

Hi there ! I'm giving Storyist (1.3.3) a try for the first time, and I'm already finding a few bugs in the software... :lol:

So here they are :

• The first one happens in Storyboard view, here are the steps to reproduce :

- Go to characters

- Having two or more characters in the view, select the first one

- Right-click on the second one, and choose 'Delete'

- The expected behavior is for the 2d one to be deleted, but the selected one gets deleted instead

Yes, to be consistent with the outline view, a right click should select the item if it is under the mouse.

• And the second one, in the character edition :

- In Character Development Points, add a new Character Point

- Select the text "Character Point Description" that gets created, from the right to the left

- You'll notice you can select the tab before the text

- Try typing something, and the app freezes

- If only the tab before the text is selected, nothing happens. The problem only occurs when the tab is selected with some text

Thanks. I am able to reproduce this and will fix it right away.

So far it looks nice and damn useful, and the bugs aren't really blocking.... So I'll go on testing the app !

Good luck with your evaluation and feel free to contact me with questions.

-Steve

Well I was using a Wiki for my writing, and getting kind of crazy with all the organizing of notes. One thing I'll probably miss from the Wiki is the ability to remember all versions of what I wrote, but all the other features will surely compensate, and I'll probably mix that with SVN to keep that feature.

There are a few things that I could suggest though, after using the software for a few hours :

First, I noticed that I could easily do links using the Wiki syntax [[]], but one nice additional thing coming from the Wiki would be the strike through style (done with ~~ ~~ on trac), to easily put some things out of the way, but keep them anyway...

And, using the links to notes, I find it rather annoying to open the page for a note and then having to go back. Having a small window popping up when clicking on the link would be soooo nice. Kind of a "Quick Look" feature, you could say.

I also played a little more with Character Points, and wondered how to link a development point to more than one section (just in case, who knows...). Oh, and I found another bug, too: when changing the link to a section in a development point, the view goes right to the linked section, but selection on the left, in the project view, doesn't change and stays on the character...

Well I was using a Wiki for my writing, and getting kind of crazy with all the organizing of notes. One thing I'll probably miss from the Wiki is the ability to remember all versions of what I wrote, but all the other features will surely compensate, and I'll probably mix that with SVN to keep that feature.

Ah, another techie! Welcome. Isaac has experimented with subversion integration and there is a short discussion here.

There are a few things that I could suggest though, after using the software for a few hours :

First, I noticed that I could easily do links using the Wiki syntax [[]], but one nice additional thing coming from the Wiki would be the strike through style (done with ~~ ~~ on trac), to easily put some things out of the way, but keep them anyway...

Thanks for the feature request. There have been a couple of wiki-related suggestions (e.g. [[character:]] and it might be worth starting a topic in feature requests for it.

And, using the links to notes, I find it rather annoying to open the page for a note and then having to go back. Having a small window popping up when clicking on the link would be soooo nice. Kind of a "Quick Look" feature, you could say.

An often requested enhancement. :)

I also played a little more with Character Points, and wondered how to link a development point to more than one section (just in case, who knows...).

Plot points and character points can only be assigned to one section at present. If you can elaborate a little bit on what you're trying to do, maybe I can suggest an alternative.

Oh, and I found another bug, too: when changing the link to a section in a development point, the view goes right to the linked section, but selection on the left, in the project view, doesn't change and stays on the character...

This is by design: The Project pane does not follow the main window selection. Part of the rational was to minimize the distraction of having various parts of the interface flashing while you were writing (as would happen, for instance, when you change selections in the manuscript). I'm open to discussion on that, however.

-Steve

Ah, another techie! Welcome. Isaac has experimented with subversion integration and there is a short discussion here.

I'm a software developer myself, so that explains why I'm having a bad habit of doing nasty things to software :)

Thanks for the feature request. There have been a couple of wiki-related suggestions (e.g. [[character:<name>]] and it might be worth starting a topic in feature requests for it.

I'll detach that in a new thread then. There may be other nice things to be found in the trac wiki, which is tightly integrated with SVN and is really great to do incremental work (I'm using it mostly for code, but found out that it's nice for writing too..).

Plot points and character points can only be assigned to one section at present. If you can elaborate a little bit on what you're trying to do, maybe I can suggest an alternative.

Well I wanted to do that at first because I was transferring the notes I did write on trac for my characters, and thus started to split all that is related to their evolution during the story in development points. Since I'm only figuring out the big picture now, development points are pretty large and could potentially take up to a third of half of the final book(s). So for now I'm not linking them to sections at all, but at the moment I thought that limiting to only one section could be a problem later...

This is by design: The Project pane does not follow the main window selection. Part of the rational was to minimize the distraction of having various parts of the interface flashing while you were writing (as would happen, for instance, when you change selections in the manuscript). I'm open to discussion on that, however.

Yeah I understand the need to not have things flashing around everywhere when writing, and didn't see it that way at first. In the end, those selection synchronization issues all have their pros and cons, with half of the people thinking it's good this way, and the other half thinking it's not. If changed, if would turn one half happy, and the other half angry, so better keep it that way :)

Yeah I understand the need to not have things flashing around everywhere when writing, and didn't see it that way at first. In the end, those selection synchronization issues all have their pros and cons, with half of the people thinking it's good this way, and the other half thinking it's not. If changed, if would turn one half happy, and the other half angry, so better keep it that way :)

Hi kettch, Steve,

I suppose I'm one of those people who think the project pane should always reflect the main window. I'm always bopping back forth between a paragraph in the manuscript and the same Character sheet (for example) so I find it more annoying to click on the sheet and have the name field go into edit mode than I ever would as a highlighted distraction. It's also good to know where you are in the manuscript (I write long Section and not always in order) so it would be good to be able to find my present cursor location by glancing at the project pane.

Perhaps one of you would like to post a Poll on the subject?

-Thoth.

BTW: Welcome to the group kettch.

I suppose I'm one of those people who think the project pane should always reflect the main window. I'm always bopping back forth between a paragraph in the manuscript and the same Character sheet (for example) so I find it more annoying to click on the sheet and have the name field go into edit mode than I ever would as a highlighted distraction. It's also good to know where you are in the manuscript (I write long Section and not always in order) so it would be good to be able to find my present cursor location by glancing at the project pane.

I just tried it again to see if the highlight was really annoying, and realized that most of the changes in the status of the project pane would occur when clicking a link, and not that much when typing... Maybe this would be the case when creating a new chapter or section, but the need to use a menu item or mnemonic to do that would probably just cut the writing anyway...

BTW: Welcome to the group kettch.

Archived