Storyist Forums

Printing to PDF

CorStellae

Hello,

so far, I haven't found a way to export documents to RTF or PDF from the iPad. I did find printing options. If I was able to "print as PDF" it would aloud me to export directly from the iPad (which would be great, since I'm away from my Mac most of the day, and I'm surrounded by PC's almost all of the time.

Perhaps there's a third party solution, or that Storyist is aloud to choose another app to create the PDF, like printing into another app instead of printing to a real printer?

Hi CorStellae,

Hello,

so far, I haven't found a way to export documents to RTF or PDF from the iPad. I did find printing options. If I was able to "print as PDF" it would aloud me to export directly from the iPad (which would be great, since I'm away from my Mac most of the day, and I'm surrounded by PC's almost all of the time.

Perhaps there's a third party solution, or that Storyist is aloud to choose another app to create the PDF, like printing into another app instead of printing to a real printer?

I'm not aware of an iPad app that presents a PDF "printer" to Air Print. There are some apps that print standard files (like RTF), so you could export RTF to Dropbox, import it in one of these apps, and print from there. If you find a better solution, please let me know.

You can export RTF by choosing "Formatted Text" in the "Copy to" dialog in the Export process.

Also, on the Mac, I use Printopia to print to PDF. There may be a PC equivalent.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry... I haven't been able to find the Formatted Text option, the Copy to dialog or the Export process... Is that on the iPad app?

Actually, I'd prefer to export to RTF, if only I can do it from the iPad... That would be all I need. Even if I trully required to export it as a PDF, I already have an iPad app that can turn a RTF into a PDF (Save2PDF), or so I think it does.

hi, CorStellae:

Are you trying to find RTF as an option in the New Project window? You need to move down a couple of layers: tap on your project, tap on Manuscripts, choose Edit and tap the manuscript you want to edit, then choose Copy to Dropbox.

You will have the choice of Formatted Text (RTF) or Unformatted Text (TXT). You want the formatted text.

If you copy from the top level, your choice is a .story file because it's including all your sheets and images as well as the text.

Best,

Marguerite

Steve... I just did it!!!!

It happens that Save2PDF has an option to aloud other apps to print to it. So I opened Print2PDF, activated the option (it was already activated, but since I installed Storyist after Save2PDF, it may had not activated it in Storyist yet). So, when I opened Storyist again, I found a new "printer" named "Convert to PDF". There's a second option, that would be printing through Save2PDF to a physical printer. So I selected the first option, and then was able to generate the PDF, as if it was a regular printer. I can even choose which pages I want to print!

Yuhuuuuu!!!! :D

I haven't been able to generate the RTF though... :huh:

hi, CorStellae:

Are you trying to find RTF as an option in the New Project window? You need to move down a couple of layers: tap on your project, tap on Manuscripts, choose Edit and tap the manuscript you want to edit, then choose Copy to Dropbox.

You will have the choice of Formatted Text (RTF) or Unformatted Text (TXT). You want the formatted text.

If you copy from the top level, your choice is a .story file because it's including all your sheets and images as well as the text.

Best,

Marguerite

Thank you, Marguerite... No, I was looking for into the options in an opened text... I would have never found it without your help! Now I can export both as RTF and PDF... Isn't life beautiful? :lol:

And thanks for the APP recommendation, save2pdf... will come handy with a few things.

:D

I had already been using it to send webpages to Good Reader or DevonThink To Go. It's been heaven to gather information when I'm away from my computer. But this... this... this is really great. The app itself is not beautiful or very friendly, but it works.

If you want iPad app that presents a PDF "printer" to Air Print, try "Print to PDF". This app uses built-in print funtionality on iOS, so you can print a documents to PDF from any apps with airprint support.

Hi hnuwong,

Thanks, this works great!

1) Launch the "Print to PDF" app ($3.99)

2) Switch to Storyist and navigate to the text file you want to generate a PDF for.

3) Tap Tools > Print.

4) Tap Printer and choose "Print to PDF"

5) Tap Printer Options to get back to the Printer Options pane.

6) Tap Print.

7) Switch back to "Print to PDF."

The PDF is stored in the app, and you can email it or use the Open In menu to open it in your favorite PDF reader.

-Steve

• 2 months later...

Excellent! I'll continue using Save2PDF since I already own it, but Print to PDF is cheaper and works. The procedure is the same. :D

For the archives: Apple disabled the mechanism that developers were using to accomplish the print to PDF function and pulled the existing apps from the App Store.

You can still use an AirPrint app like Printopia on your Mac or PC to print PDFs from Storyist for iPad.

-Steve

Yes, Steve, it's a shame that Apple has taken that decision. I've been making some alternative tests, besides Printopia, and so far, this is what I've got, using Save2PDF, just in order to sort of having some PDF emergency funcionality right from the iPad, in case I'm away from my Mac. It still requires Dropbox access, though:

- Save the document as RTF to Dropbox.

- Open the RTF file either from Drobox app or from Storyist (if you saved it in the Storyist folder in Dropbox)

- From there, Open in app > Save2PDF

Once the RTF document has been recognized by Save2PDF, it can generate the PDF from there. It looks exactly as it looks in Storyist except for some weird bug with accented i letters (í). I haven't figured out that one yet. It looks as something that happens when Save2PDF opens the RTF file; because it looks perfect from the Dropbox app.

So, if you're not writing in Spanish, and don't have a Mac, this might be a nice option. Save2PDF also alouds combining different files into a single PDF, including, por example, JPG, Word, and Excell files, all into a single PDF. That's why I chose this app in the first place. I can create a single PDF from different pictures taken right from the iPad. It's been really useful. I don't know if the other app reommended here had the same function. You may try and tell us.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, CorStellae for another great workaround! Works perfectly!

Yes, Steve, it's a shame that Apple has taken that decision. I've been making some alternative tests, besides Printopia, and so far, this is what I've got, using Save2PDF, just in order to sort of having some PDF emergency funcionality right from the iPad, in case I'm away from my Mac. It still requires Dropbox access, though:

- Save the document as RTF to Dropbox.

- Open the RTF file either from Drobox app or from Storyist (if you saved it in the Storyist folder in Dropbox)

- From there, Open in app > Save2PDF

Once the RTF document has been recognized by Save2PDF, it can generate the PDF from there. It looks exactly as it looks in Storyist except for some weird bug with accented i letters (í). I haven't figured out that one yet. It looks as something that happens when Save2PDF opens the RTF file; because it looks perfect from the Dropbox app.

So, if you're not writing in Spanish, and don't have a Mac, this might be a nice option. Save2PDF also alouds combining different files into a single PDF, including, por example, JPG, Word, and Excell files, all into a single PDF. That's why I chose this app in the first place. I can create a single PDF from different pictures taken right from the iPad. It's been really useful. I don't know if the other app reommended here had the same function. You may try and tell us.

Hope this helps.

Archived