Storyist Forums

MAJOR BUG: Putting colons in project names in Storyist for iPad

locke42

I discovered this the hard way about ten minutes ago. :( The sad thing is I should have known better, being a guy who works as a computer engineer.

SYMPTOM:

If you put a colon into a project's title, then on Storyist's next launch the project will become unreadable (i.e. it will say something like "Cannot open zip file.")

The easy solution is to rename the project to remove the colon, right? WRONG! Because when you do this, then upon relaunching Storyist (i.e. killing its instance from the background), then your project will be GONE from the main screen. As in, poof. Disappeared.

Now, I have to assume that the story files aren't actually GONE from the filesystem, but rather it's a quirk of Storyist app being suddenly unable to recognize the path of the files (I think the colon in the file name is now treated as a path separator by iOS's underlying filesystem). Does anyone have a non-jailbreak solution for recovering from something like this? Preferably something compatible with Windows 7?

Hi locke42,

I've verified that version 1.0 and 1.0.1 allow colons in the project name, which could cause the projects to be deleted at the next sync. I'm really sorry you got caught by this. Storyist 1.0.2 (submitted to the App Store today) fixes this problem.

For others reading along: Mac OS X doesn't allow colons in file names and neither does Dropbox, so you'll only be bitten by this bug if you edit the project name to include colons.

If you're using 1.0 or 1.0.1, please don't edit your project name to include colons.

-Steve

Archived