Storyist Forums

title page & page numbers

dennis7490

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Storyist and I come from Word for windows.

I imported he beginnings of my novel from Word successfully.

There is a blank page at the beginning.

Blank headers

1 - How do i create a title page?

2 - How do i put in the standard novel header with the correct pagination beginning AFTER the blank page, which i assume is for the title? When i tried this, it included the blank page as page 1, even if I put page 1 on the chapter One page. So it wold read BLANK PAGE/SANS HEADER, then Page 1 with header that I put in, then Page 3 with header, page 4 with header, etc.

thanks,

Dennis

p.s. the user guide doesn't help me much. maybe there is someplace else i can look?

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forums.

1 - How do i create a title page?

If you want it included in the document, you can type it as you would any other text. The Novel template has an example that you can copy/paste.

2 - How do i put in the standard novel header with the correct pagination beginning AFTER the blank page, which i assume is for the title? When i tried this, it included the blank page as page 1, even if I put page 1 on the chapter One page. So it wold read BLANK PAGE/SANS HEADER, then Page 1 with header that I put in, then Page 3 with header, page 4 with header, etc.

You can omit the headers on the first page by choosing Format > Page, checking the "Different first page headers" checkbox, and deleting the header on the first page.

There isn't currently a mechanism for starting/resetting the page numbering, however. Most people keep the title page in a separate file for this reason (and a few others).

p.s. the user guide doesn't help me much. maybe there is someplace else i can look?

In addition to the online version of the guide (http://storyist.com/support/users-guide/welcome/) there are some videos on the home page and a few how-tos at http://storyist.com/support/howto/

-Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the help. I finally got the header in with the page numbers. I deleted the first blank page.

BUT, now I need to create a title page, separate from the body of the novel. How do i do that and make it part of the file?

Thanks,

Dennis

quote name='Steve' timestamp='1314923358' post='14396']

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forums.

If you want it included in the document, you can type it as you would any other text. The Novel template has an example that you can copy/paste.

You can omit the headers on the first page by choosing Format > Page, checking the "Different first page headers" checkbox, and deleting the header on the first page.

There isn't currently a mechanism for starting/resetting the page numbering, however. Most people keep the title page in a separate file for this reason (and a few others).

In addition to the online version of the guide (http://storyist.com/support/users-guide/welcome/) there are some videos on the home page and a few how-tos at http://storyist.com/support/howto/

-Steve

Hi, Dennis:

The Novel template includes a sample title page in the Notebook (notes are text files, just like manuscripts; only Steve and Storyist know the difference).

If you have deleted your sample, just create a new note in the Notebook and call it Title Page. Set it up and format it as you like. When you export your text, just make sure the check mark next to the Title Page note is selected as well as your main manuscript.

You could also open a new project based on Novel and copy the title page from there.

If you haven't deleted the sample but just didn't notice it because it was inside the Notebook, then you can replace Steve's text with your own. Again, export it whenever you export the final manuscript.

HINT: The Notebook is also a great place to stash sample query letters, synopses of various lengths, etc. I have a separate folder called Addenda where I stick anything that I may need to send out with a manuscript but don't use most of the time.

Welcome to the forums,

Marguerite

• 2 years later...

i'm trying to insert page numbers along w/ the header. I've already checked the box different first page header on my novel. I would like to start the header with page number on the prologue page. How can this be achieved? This is my third novel I'm writing with storyist and have yet to format this part in.

Hi, Horrorquill:

Follow these steps to add page numbers:

1. Click on the Prologue entry in the Project View to select it. Click on the text window to be sure you are working in the right place.

2. Click on View and choose Show Page Guides. Above the large text window, you should see a smaller window about one line deep.

3. Type the text you want for your header in the small header window and format it with the Inspector. When you get to the page numbers, click on Edit, then Insert, then Page Number.

4. When you're done, click in the large text window. If you like, hide the guides by clicking on View again and choosing Hide Page Guides.

If you start a project from the Novel template, it usually has the header set up for you, although you will have to edit the text with your last name and book title.

This assumes you are using Storyist for Mac.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived