Storyist Forums

Syncing Manuscript Via Mac Cloud

reresita

I've just started a project on Storyist, and want to work on both my desktop and my notebook. I can share via Cloud or Dropbox, but I keep downloading the same file v.1 v.2 etc. It's getting very confusing as they go back and forth to keep track of which is the most recent version. Any help on syncing manuscripts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi reresita,

Welcome to the forums.

I've just started a project on Storyist, and want to work on both my desktop and my notebook. I can share via Cloud or Dropbox, but I keep downloading the same file v.1 v.2 etc. It's getting very confusing as they go back and forth to keep track of which is the most recent version. Any help on syncing manuscripts would be greatly appreciated.

The first step is to turn on one-tap syncing as described here. If you do that, you won't have to keep track of which is the most recent version.

-Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi reresita,

Welcome to the forums.

The first step is to turn on one-tap syncing as described here. If you do that, you won't have to keep track of which is the most recent version.

-Steve

Thanks, but one-tap syncing only seems to work with the ipad. I'd like to transfer between laptop and desktop.

Dropbox is a folder on your computer that syncs with the parent computer(s). If you open the file from the Dropbox folder directly in Storyist, work on it, save it, and close it; then open the same file from the Dropbox folder on your laptop (after Dropbox sends you the message that it has updated the file) and work on it there, you will only ever have the one version that you are updating.

Being the paranoid type, I would copy the Dropbox version to one or both of my computers once a day and call it File_Backup.story, but that's me. People work quite happily while never moving their files out of the Dropbox folder, and they don't seem to lose their files. ;)

Unlike iDisk, Dropbox is pretty snappy, so I don't think you have to copy your file to avoid performance issues. It's just a question of how comfortable you are with the cloud.

Best,

Marguerite

Archived