Storyist Forums

iPad App crashes after 5 minutes

awhilliard

I am using the Storyist iPad app to edit a Final Draft .fdx file saved to my dropbox "Storyist" folder.

After about 5 minutes of use, the app crashes and I lose my work. I thought this might be related to dropbox auto-sync, so I disabled that. When I copied the file from dropbox and worked on the copy, the crashing persisted.

I hard-reset my iPad and retested. Still crashed. I deleted the Storyist app from the iPad and reinstalled it from the App store. Still crashed.

Help!

Hi awhilliard,

Version 1.0 had a bug that would cause Storyist to crash if you tapped a screenplay element in the extended keyboard and the script was either empty or the cursor was positioned at the very end of the file (past the final carriage return). This was fixed in 1.0.1, so if you're running Storyist for iPad 1.0, go ahead and download the update.

If that isn't it, please let me know. There are two things that may be going on: Storyist may be crashing, or your iPad may be running out of memory and killing the app (which looks like a crash).

It would be very helpful to see any Storyist-related crash logs and low memory reports. To find them:

1) Sync your iPad with iTunes. This will transfer the crash reports to your computer.

2) Look for the crash reports in the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice// folder. Any Storyist crashes will start with "Storyist". You'll find the low memory reports in the same folder, and they will start with "LowMemory"

Please send these to the support address and I'll take a look right away.

It would also be useful to know what iPad you have (iPad 1 or 2), what version of iOS you're running, and what version of Storyist you're running.

-Steve

Hi awhilliard,

Version 1.0 had a bug that would cause Storyist to crash if you tapped a screenplay element in the extended keyboard and the script was either empty or the cursor was positioned at the very end of the file (past the final carriage return). This was fixed in 1.0.1, so if you're running Storyist for iPad 1.0, go ahead and download the update.

If that isn't it, please let me know. There are two things that may be going on: Storyist may be crashing, or your iPad may be running out of memory and killing the app (which looks like a crash).

It would be very helpful to see any Storyist-related crash logs and low memory reports. To find them:

1) Sync your iPad with iTunes. This will transfer the crash reports to your computer.

2) Look for the crash reports in the ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<your iPad's name>/ folder. Any Storyist crashes will start with "Storyist". You'll find the low memory reports in the same folder, and they will start with "LowMemory"

Please send these to the support address and I'll take a look right away.

It would also be useful to know what iPad you have (iPad 1 or 2), what version of iOS you're running, and what version of Storyist you're running.

-Steve

Thanks Steve. I just emailed the crash info you requested. As you'll see, I do have some "low memory" crash logs, along with "storyist" crash logs. But strangely, I've tried to run Storyist with very few other apps open, and still the app crashes. Can a single other app hog the entirety of the iPad's memory? Hope we can get to the bottom of this!

Hi awhilliard,

Thanks Steve. I just emailed the crash info you requested. As you'll see, I do have some "low memory" crash logs, along with "storyist" crash logs. But strangely, I've tried to run Storyist with very few other apps open, and still the app crashes. Can a single other app hog the entirety of the iPad's memory? Hope we can get to the bottom of this!

Thank you for the crash reports. They all indicate the same issue: It looks like your FDX file contains an element that defines a font color other than black. This triggers a bug in the FDX exporter that can cause a crash. The reason you are crashing periodically is that Storyist is autosaving your changes (every 2 minutes) and thus using the FDX exporter.

I've just fixed this and it will be available in version 1.1.

In the mean time, you can work around the problem by editing your elements that define a font color other than black. To do this:

1. Open your script in Final Draft.
  2. Choose Format > Elements.
  3. Select the element that has a font color other than black.
  4. Click the Font tab.
  5. Click Set Font.
  6. Set the color in the Color popup to Black.

-Steve

Archived