Storyist Forums

Kindle error when exporting

Eleni

When exporting to Kindle, I can only make an e book when I don't select the "Don't allow readers to copy content from this book" in the "enter Kindle options" dialogue box. If I press the option, I get an error message that reads "The kindle document could not be created because KindleGen tool encountered an error." I would like to use this feature. Is there a fix for it?

Thanks,

Eleni

Eleni,

The feature used to work. There is a mismatch between the latest version of Kindlegen and the latest Storyist exporter. I reported it in the beta testers section, because I too like that feature. Only Steve can say when/if the fix will arrive, but if you are encountering it in the release version, then the fault probably lies with Kindlegen, because I definitely used to export Kindle files in 2.3.3 with that option turned on.

Welcome to the forums!

Marguerite

Eleni,

The feature used to work. There is a mismatch between the latest version of Kindlegen and the latest Storyist exporter. I reported it in the beta testers section, because I too like that feature. Only Steve can say when/if the fix will arrive, but if you are encountering it in the release version, then the fault probably lies with Kindlegen, because I definitely used to export Kindle files in 2.3.3 with that option turned on.

Welcome to the forums!

Marguerite

Thanks for the response. Hope it's fixed soon.

You don't mention whether you're using Lion. I had no trouble with Kindle Export under Snow Leopard, but have not been able to use the "don't copy" feature since I switched to Lion. So it could be neither Kindlegen nor Storyist but OSX-related. Anyone else notice this?

Tried to test Kindle export on my Tiger machine, but Kindlegen doesn't seem to run on Tiger.... :(

Best,

M

You don't mention whether you're using Lion. I had no trouble with Kindle Export under Snow Leopard, but have not been able to use the "don't copy" feature since I switched to Lion. So it could be neither Kindlegen nor Storyist but OSX-related. Anyone else notice this?

Tried to test Kindle export on my Tiger machine, but Kindlegen doesn't seem to run on Tiger.... :(

Best,

M

Then this is becoming more of a mystery; I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I can make .mobi files, I just can't use the feature that prevents the file content from being copied.

Hi Eleni,

Then this is becoming more of a mystery; I'm using Snow Leopard (10.6.8). I can make .mobi files, I just can't use the feature that prevents the file content from being copied.

Unfortunately, this isn't a Storyist issue, but a kindlegen issue.

Versions of kindlegen prior to 1.2 supported a "nocopypaste" option. Amazon removed the option in kindlegen 1.2, and the tool now returns an error if you try to use it.

The "fix" is to remove support for the option from Storyist, which the next version of Storyist will do.

-Steve

Hi Eleni,

Unfortunately, this isn't a Storyist issue, but a kindlegen issue.

Versions of kindlegen prior to 1.2 supported a "nocopypaste" option. Amazon removed the option in kindlegen 1.2, and the tool now returns an error if you try to use it.

The "fix" is to remove support for the option from Storyist, which the next version of Storyist will do.

-Steve

Does this mean we won't be able to export files to Kindle? I hope that's not the case as I do my editing on the there with Speech To Text. It's such a valuable tool.

Does this mean we won't be able to export files to Kindle? I hope that's not the case as I do my editing on the there with Speech To Text. It's such a valuable tool.

No! You'll still be able to create Kindle editions. Sorry if I gave the impression that Kindle export was going away.

The kindlegen tool no longer offers the option to prevent copy/paste from the Kindle edition, so the next version of Storyist will no longer present the checkbox when exporting Kindle editions. That's all.

-Steve

No! You'll still be able to create Kindle editions. Sorry if I gave the impression that Kindle export was going away.

The kindlegen tool no longer offers the option to prevent copy/paste from the Kindle edition, so the next version of Storyist will no longer present the checkbox when exporting Kindle editions. That's all.

-Steve

Phew! That's a relief:)

Archived