Storyist Forums

Relationship between text and index cards

lonewriterUK

I am very new to Storyist so apologies if this is a very basic question.

I have created a new text file (novel format) and added one chapter and six sections. If I add text to cards in the index view, that text is not reflected in the text view and vice versa. Have I missed a fundamental point here? I assumed that one would update the other...

Many thanks

Claire

Hi lonewriterUK,

Welcome to the forums.

I am very new to Storyist so apologies if this is a very basic question.

I have created a new text file (novel format) and added one chapter and six sections. If I add text to cards in the index view, that text is not reflected in the text view and vice versa. Have I missed a fundamental point here? I assumed that one would update the other...

The index cards contain summaries/synopses for your section, not the section text itself. You can use them to get a high-level view of your story or make notes on individual sections.

-Steve

Hi, Claire,

Welcome to the forums. Text on cards is independent from text in the manuscript. It is intended to represent a summary of the section and is used while outlining a manuscript.

If you have Storyist set up to create section sheets automatically, text entered on cards usually shows up in the summary field of attached section sheets and when those sheets are displayed in outline mode (View > Outline). But the crucial point to know is that even when a card has the same name as a section of your manuscript, it actually represents a section sheet--that is, a card with information about the section--not the section itself.

Best,

Marguerite

P.S. Oops! Didn't realize Steve was responding. :huh:

Archived