Storyist Forums

Mine Requests

Norbu56

1st of all hello to this kind and gentle community

2nd sorry for my english.

Ok. to the point!

Here's is my "Future Features List":

0. Draggable scenes, plot points, characters, etc. from one Storyist document to another - (I think there's another topic in the forum that say the same and agree)

1. Research Folder - A folder where I can put PDF, .MOV, Photos and MP3.

2. Splittable window (Yes I'm a Scrivener User and this is very handy) with different contents - 1 from the resource folder (example) where I read, examine, hear, etc. and one where I write. Sometime i forgot a place, a char or a concept (very easy :lol: ) and I must quit write to search that info.

3. The possibility to insert pictures inside settings, chars, etc. and not be limited by the tiny box on the top of the page.

That's it !

Storyist is a good application for analytical minds.

Help me a lot to plan the story.

Steve is doin' a very good job.

From Rome, Italy with love

Andrea

1st of all hello to this kind and gentle community

2nd sorry for my english.

Ok. to the point!

Here's is my "Future Features List":

0. Draggable scenes, plot points, characters, etc. from one Storyist document to another - (I think there's another topic in the forum that say the same and agree)

1. Research Folder - A folder where I can put PDF, .MOV, Photos and MP3.

2. Splittable window (Yes I'm a Scrivener User and this is very handy) with different contents - 1 from the resource folder (example) where I read, examine, hear, etc. and one where I write. Sometime i forgot a place, a char or a concept (very easy :lol: ) and I must quit write to search that info.

3. The possibility to insert pictures inside settings, chars, etc. and not be limited by the tiny box on the top of the page.

That's it !

Storyist is a good application for analytical minds.

Help me a lot to plan the story.

Steve is doin' a very good job.

From Rome, Italy with love

Andrea

Welcome, Andrea!

Great suggestions, all. On 2, have you discovered the Storyboard yet? If you arrange it to the left or right instead of across the top, choose grid mode, then click on, say, your list of characters, you can see them arranged along the side and get to them in a flash. I know it's not quite the same as a split window (the character, setting, or whatever takes over your writing window), but it's a useful feature even so.

Yes, Steve is great--very responsive to our many requests!

Marguerite

Hello Andrea, and welcome to our (often) kind and gentle little forum. Don't worry about your English. I've been speaking it for over half a century now and I still haven't completely figured it out. (I marvel at how poets do it.)

I noticed you began your list with zero. Do you have a mathematical or computer science background? (We're the only types who do that, I think.)

I completely agree that we should be able to share story elements between Storyist files. Exactly how to do this is the issue. Check out the "Crossing the book boundary" thread under Feature Requests (if you haven't already) for further discussion..

I keep my research folders separate from my Storyist folder and labeled by general topic. Research for one thing (not necessarily a story) is often useful for another thing. Storyist's Notebook is good but obviously you don't want to have to recreate everything you find on the Web there. That's why I keep lists of links there, among other things.

Splittable windows? I think it's only a matter of time (Right Steve?). In the meantime you might enjoy the Spaces feature in Leopard (Mac OS 10.5). It's not quite the same. Still... I often forget a feature about a character (or some such thing) so I just pop back and forth between the appropriate Character sheet and the manuscript. I know it's tempting to keep information on your character elsewhere but you have to trust the sheets. (Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for a Prop sheet, Steve.)

Extensive picture collections I keep in a separate folder. The little picture spaces in Storyist are more like memory prods than thousand-word descriptions. But I can see why you might want a series of pictures, especially in an elaborate setting. Also, I've noticed that some writers think in terms of graphic novels. They put a series of pictures together. in their minds or on paper, and then write the story to explain the pictures. Interesting technique.

I wholeheartedly agree that Storyist is a great product. One of its best and most important features is Steve. He's always willing to listen and to help. He is the heart of this product and, while it could certainly stand alone, it would be far poorer without him. (Let's hope he doesn't become rich and powerful too quickly.)

Seasons Greetings to Fair Roma,

-Thoth.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Thot --> You got me, worked as programmer in the video-game industry for 20 years - I've a tridimensional array, not a brain :lol:

The actual project that I'm working on by two year is my first try as a writer.

Is a complex video-game in complex world (over 400 pages of background), in a complex story, in a complex history (I've reconstructed the History of America and part of Europe from 1472 until 1910, changing some historical nodes and event. A big "What if".

So I'm a complete noob on pure writer's related problems and my way of working maybe is not right.

I'm saying that Storyist is a good program.

I like the clean interface and the polite structure.

Regarding reference or picture inside notes or other types I'll export the notes in .DOC format and I'll add with Pages.

Regarding the Spaces features I might wait until I'll buy a new Mac. I have a imMac G5 with Tiger.

Thanks for the gently answers

and Mele Kalikimaka to all.

Andrea

The actual project that I'm working on by two year is my first try as a writer. Is a complex video-game in complex world (over 400 pages of background), in a complex story, in a complex history (I've reconstructed the History of America and part of Europe from 1472 until 1910, changing some historical nodes and event. A big "What if".

Sounds intriguing, Andrea. Steve might be surprised that people are using Storyist to develop video games. (No wonder you need so many pictures.) Are you aware of Storyist's screenplay format? It might be helpful to you.

...Mele Kalikimaka to all.

Yes, Merry Christmas, Andrea.

(You speak Italian, English and Hawaiian. An interesting and impressive combination.)

-Thoth.

Sounds intriguing, Andrea. Steve might be surprised that people are using Storyist to develop video games. (No wonder you need so many pictures.) Are you aware of Storyist's screenplay format? It might be helpful to you.

Yes, Merry Christmas, Andrea.

(You speak Italian, English and Hawaiian. An interesting and impressive combination.)

-Thoth.

On the splittable windows, I had an idea/question. It's already possible to use the Storyboard to burrow down from, say, all characters to a character group. Would it be possible to click on an individual character icon and have the Storyboard display the associated Character Sheet, instead of the current arrangement where the Character Sheet displays in the main window? Then you could see an individual character/setting/plot point/note description while typing on the ms, and with back and forward buttons you could move up and down levels without leaving the Manuscript Pane.

That would be extremely useful, I think. (Not being a techie, I can't tell if the programming involved would be horrendous. Steve?)

Happy holidays,

Marguerite

On the splittable windows, I had an idea/question. It's already possible to use the Storyboard to burrow down from, say, all characters to a character group. Would it be possible to click on an individual character icon and have the Storyboard display the associated Character Sheet, instead of the current arrangement where the Character Sheet displays in the main window? Then you could see an individual character/setting/plot point/note description while typing on the ms, and with back and forward buttons you could move up and down levels without leaving the Manuscript Pane.

That would be extremely useful, I think. (Not being a techie, I can't tell if the programming involved would be horrendous. Steve?)

Happy holidays,

Marguerite

An interesting idea. We can already get a one line summary in the Storyboard (and word count, etc) if that option is selected. So why not a full sheet in the Storyboard? Still, if you're going to go that far, then why not a splittable window option? It could be tied to the Storyboard display, displaying sheets when a sheet is selected in the Storyboard. This could be far more versatile. But then, as you say, the programming involved could be horrendous. (Or not since it sounds like the OS would be doing most of the work. But what do we know?)

Oops. Phone's ringing. Gotta go.

-Thoth.

Archived