Storyist Forums

The File Doesn't Exist

reresita

I imported a file from dropbox and worked on it on my laptop for a week or so. Now I want to send it back to desktop, but when I try to save it, I get this message:

The document XXXX could not be saved. The file doesn't exist.

Of course it exists. I've been working on it for a week! Other than cutting and pasting to word, any suggestions on how to save this sucker?

Hi reresita,

If you kept the file open on your laptop, what is likely going on is this:

1) You updated the file on your other computer and Dropbox copied it to the sever.

2) Dropbox on your laptop started copying these changes from the server to your laptop.

3) Since the file was open on your laptop, Dropbox moved the laptop version aside before copying the version from the server.

If you command-click on the icon next to the Project title in the toolbar in the version that is open on the laptop, you should be able to see the folder to which Dropbox moved your open file.

What you'll probably want to do now is:

1) Use the Save As command to save your project elsewhere (e.g. the desktop).

2) Decide which version you want to keep.

3) Move that version to your Dropbox folder.

-Steve

I imported a file from dropbox and worked on it on my laptop for a week or so. Now I want to send it back to desktop, but when I try to save it, I get this message:

The document XXXX could not be saved. The file doesn't exist.

Of course it exists. I've been working on it for a week! Other than cutting and pasting to word, any suggestions on how to save this sucker?

Archived