Storyist Forums

Index card problems

mericlese

I've been using Storyist on iPad for a while now and have really been liking what I've been seeing, but I've come across one problem that's been bugging me since day one. I'm outlining my story by scene using the index cards. On the card I put a description of the scene I'm going to write, sometimes detailed and use them to flesh out my ideas. In the manuscript it marks the card with a '#' symbol. If anything happens to that symbol, either accidentally or on purpose, the card disappears. All its information gone and undoing doesn't bring the card back as it was.

My request is allowing that '#' to be replaced, perhaps with the first line of text for the scene, or at the very least have some sort of warning that you're about to delete a scene. Something to prevent the loss of work if you accidentally hit delete one too many times, or just don't want to see the '#' signs in your documents while you're writing.

Another idea might be selecting the starting line for a section, and merely have the '#' as a placeholder for that line of text?

Anyway, thanks for your time and an awesome tool.

Hi Seth,

I've been using Storyist on iPad for a while now and have really been liking what I've been seeing, but I've come across one problem that's been bugging me since day one. I'm outlining my story by scene using the index cards. On the card I put a description of the scene I'm going to write, sometimes detailed and use them to flesh out my ideas. In the manuscript it marks the card with a '#' symbol. If anything happens to that symbol, either accidentally or on purpose, the card disappears. All its information gone and undoing doesn't bring the card back as it was.

My request is allowing that '#' to be replaced, perhaps with the first line of text for the scene, or at the very least have some sort of warning that you're about to delete a scene. Something to prevent the loss of work if you accidentally hit delete one too many times, or just don't want to see the '#' signs in your documents while you're writing.

Another idea might be selecting the starting line for a section, and merely have the '#' as a placeholder for that line of text?

Anyway, thanks for your time and an awesome tool.

Thanks for the the request.

Deleting the section separator ("#") does delete the card for the section (since it effectively deletes the section). I've already got an item on my list to alert you if you're about to do this.

The second part of the request is a little tricker. Storyist needs some non-whitespace marker in body text to mark section (body text) boundaries, so simply omitting the separator won't work. The convention in novel manuscripts and short stories is to use the "#" character, but it would be reasonable to allow another character (e.g. "§").

-Steve

Archived