Storyist Forums

Versioning

Harry Lime

Are there plans for adding an easy way to generate incremental iterations (versions, drafts) of a screenplay etc? v001, v002, v003?

At the moment I am handling this by doing a copy/paste of the entire script in to a new empty document. Am I missing something?

Thank you,

HL

PS: Great program. I'm really glad that Storyist came along for the iPad.

Oops! Just wrote a long note in reply, only to realize that you are using the iPad, and none of it works there.

One work-around for the moment is to rename the file on the iPad and copy that to iTunes or Dropbox. Easier than the copy/paste.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi Harry,

Are there plans for adding an easy way to generate incremental iterations (versions, drafts) of a screenplay etc? v001, v002, v003?

At the moment I am handling this by doing a copy/paste of the entire script in to a new empty document. Am I missing something?

You can make a snapshot of a project simply by syncing it with Dropbox. Dropbox keeps 30 days worth of backups in the free version (forever in the paid versions), and you can retrieve them from the Dropbox website or by right-clicking on the project in your Dropbox folder on your computer and selecting Dropbox > View Previous Versions.

In the Mac version, you can also create versions of your project that are stored locally via the File > Backup command, and I'll likely add a similar feature to Storyist for iPad.

It would be nice to also be able to track revisions of individual files in a project. This is a complicated issue (when you create a version, do you include versions of all the sheets you've linked to?) and is about to get more complicated with the introduction of iCloud. I'll post more about iCloud after Friday.

PS: Great program. I'm really glad that Storyist came along for the iPad.

Thanks Harry.

-Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Harry,

Just a quick note to say that Storyist for iOS 2.0 supports creating local versions of projects, so you can save multiple drafts if you want.

To do so:

1. Navigate to the Storyist home screen.
  2. Tap Edit.
  3. Select a project.
  4. Tap the Versions (umbrella) icon to view the Versions menu.
  5. Tap Save a Version.

The version editor appears, and you can add a comment.

Version 2.0 also creates daily automatic backups, which are kept for 30 days. You can view these versions (and restore them if necessary) by choosing "Show Previous Versions" from the Versions menu.

-Steve

• 1 year later...

Archived