Storyist Forums

A Wave From The Rockies!

:D I downloaded the trial version for NaNo 2011...I see you need a forum for that :P

I usually just write with my Pages, but I've recently been using OpenOffice for compatibility purposes; I STILL cannot get my novel in the right format for Smashwords and it's driving my batty

In any case, I'm a homeschooling mom, working on my series; and this is my 4th year in NaNo...only made the 50K once, hoping to do it again this year! My first book published in August, it was quite exciting! (and I'm sure I've given away more than I've sold ;) )

So, good to be here! Looking forward to getting to know you all and the product! (fair warning, I love technology, but I'm not always adept at using it!)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sure! always happy to share! :lol: i see that Amazon still has not reflected my price change *grrr*

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Seasons-Life-D-H-Barbara/dp/1452844569/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312567740&sr=8-1

Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Seasons-Life-Lakeville-ebook/dp/B005FHOBCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312304525&sr=8-1

nook: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Seasons-Of-A-Life/Barbara-Haropolous/e/2940013192607

it's also on Smashwords, incorrectly formatted <_< I see from my quick readings some of you also have issues with them, glad I'm not alone

and the nook version has a few spaces where they shouldn't be...live and learn, right?

Welcome, Barbara, and congratulations on publishing your book.

As Orren notes, if you want mostly Kindle and ePub files, you can get much better results with much less grief by exporting directly from Storyist. Even books that were once published professionally (I'm thinking of P.B. Ryan's Boston/Cape Cod mystery series) come out looking a bit unprofessional in their Smashwords versions.

But if you have just text and a cover image, exporting from Storyist is a snap.

Best,

Marguerite

Hi, Barbara/Hippiechyck.

Do you prefer to be addressed by your forum/avatar name or by your post-signature name?

Congratulations on publishing your book. And thank you for publishing your links. (Always a good idea.)

Say hello to Isaac for me (he was the second person to join the forum, after Steve) if you see him around Denver, CO.

Again, welcome.

-Thoth.

Hi HippieChyck,

PA is a nice place to live. I've been on 209 a number of time en route to upstate NY many a time. I'm originally from Long Island but moved here for college and the resulting job. You really moved a long distance away. I've never been out to the Rockies but it looks gorgeous. Here's a wave from PA.

-Whirlybird

Thoth, i'm an original Jersey girl (Bergen County, best pizza on the planet) and i ain't never seen a teddy bear in da Bronx :lol:;)

Clearly you haven't been looking in the right places. They hold an annual picnic for them in Van Cortlandt Park.

Of course, they can be very shy critters. ;)

(And it's Da Glorious Bronx. Sheesh! Jersey girls!)

-T

I was born in Brooklyn so it looks like we were all neighbors at one point. I didn't know they had such cute bears in Da Glorious Bronx. I once helped carry a tranquilized black bear into the game commissioner's SUV. I got to hold the ears. :o

Excellent! And very brave. (The ears are the most dangerous part of a bear. Not a lot of people know that.)

Always good to hear from another New Yorker.

(Do you still have the accent?)

-Thoth ;)

stink! i forgot about that Teddy Bear Picnic :lol:

Some of the Teddy Bears noticed your absence. We raised a cup of tea to absent friends.

i've only actually been IN Da Bronx 3 times...

The third times the charm. Now you are ours forever.

...twice to Yankee Stadium...

Did you grab a souvenir? (Old Yankee Stadium: 1923-2006. RIP. New Yankee Stadium: 2009-????)

...and once to visit a priest in Fort Apache :blink: intersting...no teddy bears :lol:

I'm not surprised, since the area (around the NYPD's 41st Precinct Station House at 1086 Simpson Street) has been so maligned in film and song. But that all stopped somewhere in the mid-80s. Only the crude and insensitive* still call the area "Fort Apache". (Apology accepted.)

-Thoth

* We don't even use the term "Hell's Kitchen" (a neighborhood of Manhattan between 34th Street and 59th Street and from 8th Avenue to the Hudson River) anymore. Now it's called "Clinton". Did you know that the Nero Wolfe novels and TV episodes place his detective agency there? The neighborhood was once at the height of fashion. Things change, and change again.

YAY!!! I can claim Bronx 'tude!!! *arm pump ala Arsenio*

i got no souvenirs from any games...i was able to act really obnoxious and tell Reggie Jackson he should be traded (because everyone listens to wisdom from a drunk 17 yr old NJ girl)

the parish was in the very area the movie was filmed, and it was still pretty burnt out (1984-ish) i do humbly apologize ;)

we lived for 3 month with my hubby's grandfather on W 25th street between 7th and 8th...it was a trip!

YAY!!! I can claim Bronx 'tude!!! *arm pump ala Arsenio*

Okay. Just don't abuse the privilege, hippiechyck. :)

i got no souvenirs from any games...

:( When I was their last, people were ripping out seats! B)

i was able to act really obnoxious and tell Reggie Jackson he should be traded (because everyone listens to wisdom from a drunk 17 yr old NJ girl)

The entire fashion industry (and a great many ad executives) listens to the wisdom of drunk 17-year-old NJ girls. :blink:

But you were probably right about Reggie.

the parish was in the very area the movie was filmed, and it was still pretty burnt out (1984-ish) i do humbly apologize ;)

I understand. Even today there is a big push to preserve the low-rise (as opposed to high-rise) character of the area. Like it's some kind of forest preserve. Go figure.

we lived for 3 month with my hubby's grandfather on W 25th street between 7th and 8th...it was a trip!

I can imagine! The Sivananda Yoga Center. The High School of Fashion. The 511 Gallery. Was Whole Foods (corner of W 25th and 7th) there when you were?

Peace & Love (or at least a nice slice of the profits)

-T

Archived