Storyist Forums

A Wave From The Rockies!

The ears are the most dangerous part of a bear.

Is that because the ears are so close to those big teeth?

(Do you still have the accent?)

Yeah, but not as much as I used to. I used to get teased about it a lot here in PA but not as much as before. Now the words that get a reaction are 'coffee' and 'water' and 'chocolate'.

twice to Yankee Stadium

Sorry guys but I'm a Mets fan although I think it's very sad that Yankee stadium is no more. Very much a NY landmark.

-Whirlybird

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that because the ears are so close to those big teeth?

Heh heh. Yeah. Plus the fluffiness lulls you into a false sense of security.

Yeah, but not as much as I used to. I used to get teased about it a lot here in PA but not as much as before. Now the words that get a reaction are 'coffee' and 'water' and 'chocolate'.

Cruel. So very cruel. (They're probably just jealous!)

Sorry guys but I'm a Mets fan although I think it's very sad that Yankee stadium is no more. Very much a NY landmark.

Say it ain't so Whirly! Say it ain't so! :o

-T

Heh heh. Yeah. Plus the fluffiness lulls you into a false sense of security.

Except this bear must just have been in the Schuylkill River because he was very, very stinky. The insides of the ears were very fluffy. He was a teenage bear and very cute and a little awkward. Once tranquilized they pushed him out of tree from pretty far up. He bounced when he fell. Poor thing.

Cruel. So very cruel. (They're probably just jealous!)

I agree about them just being jealous and, I think, a little clueless :lol:

Say it ain't so Whirly! Say it ain't so!

My dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan which meant a big no to the Yankees. When the Mets came along after the Dodgers went to LA, he stayed with the Brooklyn theme. Sorry, but always a Mets fan. Bud Harrelson was my favorite Mets player which shows you how long ago that was. I don't follow the Mets much any more. A little harder when it's not 'the home team'.

-Whirlybird

Except this bear must just have been in the Schuylkill River because he was very, very stinky. The insides of the ears were very fluffy. He was a teenage bear and very cute and a little awkward. ...

I wonder: Do teenage bears get acne?

... I don't follow the Mets much any more. A little harder when it's not 'the home team'.

I know what you mean. I lived in Connecticut for a while. Don't get me started.

-T

I think the fur covers any acne scars so they are fortunate that way.

Lucky bears.

PA is probably just like Connecticut. Not bad but it's not NY.

Amen. But truth be told, most of New York State isn't all that different from PA and CT, except for more dairy farms.

NYC isn't NYS. It's unique in a New York kind of way.

knowwhatimean?

-T

NYC is definitely unique, as is LI.

Yes. But Long Island is, I think, more varied than NYC.

I suppose City Island (a part of Da Glorious Bronx which still reminds folks of an old New England fishing village) balances it out a little.

Ever been there?

-T

Yes. But Long Island is, I think, more varied than NYC.

I suppose City Island (a part of Da Glorious Bronx which still reminds folks of an old New England fishing village) balances it out a little.

Ever been there?

-T

You're right, T, Long Island has a lot of variety especially when you compared the western part of LI to the eastern tips. Like night and day.

As for City Island I don't think I've ever been there unless it was from when I was a kid. Can you see if from the Hutchison River Parkway? I went up that way from LI en route to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America).

-W

Can you see [City Island] from the Hutchison River Parkway?

Form some parts that run through Pelham Bay Park, yes.

I went up that way from LI en route to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America).

The son of a friend of mine went there in the 1990s.

Did you matriculate?

-T

BTW: This is really hippiechyck's thread and we kind of taken it over.

It's so easy to get off track.

Form some parts that run through Pelham Bay Park, yes.

The son of a friend of mine went there in the 1990s.

Did you matriculate?

-T

BTW: This is really hippiechyck's thread and we kind of taken it over.

It's so easy to get off track.

I only matriculate (had to look it up) for a weekend class. Not sure I used the word properly in my sentence.

This is the second or more time we've taken over a thread. Do we not play well with others?

-W

I only matriculate (had to look it up) for a weekend class. Not sure I used the word properly in my sentence.

I would have used the verb's past tense: "I had only matriculated for the weekend class." As in "enrolled".

There's also a noun form referring to a person who is enrolled in a college class as a "matriculate".

"Who's that matriculate in the short skirt? Is he Scottish or have we gone co-ed?

Ah, the weird wonderful world of English.

This is the second or more time we've taken over a thread. Do we not play well with others?

I can't speak for others but I do this a lot.

I'm bad.

B)

-T

I would have used the verb's past tense: "I had only matriculated for the weekend class." As in "enrolled".

There's also a noun form referring to a person who is enrolled in a college class as a "matriculate".

"Who's that matriculate in the short skirt? Is he Scottish or have we gone co-ed?

Ah, the weird wonderful world of English.

I can't speak for others but I do this a lot.

I'm bad.

B)

-T

You answered my question beautifully about matriculate. Thank you!

Well, I've being doing the same thing too. Not too sure if it's just your 'bad' influence or not. Either way it's been fun.

-W

PS-How do you do the double quote thing?

LOL, i don't mind and now i am wildly envious that you went to the CIA, Whirly...was it absolutely wonderful???? *sighing deeply*

Hi Barbara.

Yes it was wonderful. This year was the second year in a row that we went.

The first year it was my best friend Karen, my Mom, my aunt and cousin. We took a day class (from 9:30AM to 2:30PM) called Gourmet Meals in minute. It was in a regular cooking 'classroom' with more workstations, stoves, ovens and cookware than I've ever seen in one place in my life. Our class was about 15 or so with a staff chef and three student assistants. We broke up into groups of twos and threes and each had a few dishes to make from the large menu. Every so often we stopped to watch the chef demonstrate one of the techniques that one of the little groups was working on. Our lunch consisted of our finished dishes and dessert (after we cleaned our pots and pans) was the turamisu my mom and cousin made. We all got to take the leftovers (and there was a lot because of all the dishes we all made) home. Then my Mom and Karen went to eat at one of the CIA's restaurants. We went to the French restaurant and were treated royally. The students were our waitstaff and everything was fantastic.

The second year I went with two of my friends, my Mom, two aunts, a cousin, and a cousin's wife (all from the other side of my family from last year) and we took a baking class called Breakfast and Brunches. It was also on a Saturday with the same amount of hours. The chef made us a buffet breakfast before the class even started which spanned the spectrum from homemade granola, smoothies, bacon to french toast, and more. This time we broke up into groups of two with specific dishes to make and the chef did his demonstrations. We ate the items as they were made. Then we broke for lunch which were gourmet meals made by the students which included magnificent desserts. Fortunately we didn't make reservations at the CIA restaurants this time because we were so wonderfully stuffed.

A few of us plan to return again next year but we're not sure of the class. They're not cheap but well worth it. I believe the CIA now has three campuses now. Hyde Park, NY, San Antonio,Texas, and St Helena, California.

Sorry to make you envious. I wish you could go as well.

-Whirlybird

You answered my question beautifully about matriculate. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Well, I've being doing the same thing too. Not too sure if it's just your 'bad' influence or not. Either way it's been fun.

Just going with the flow. (And I'm glad Barbara doesn't mind.)

PS-How do you do the double quote thing?

I explain this in response to another post of yours.

Yes it was wonderful....

... We all got to take the leftovers (and there was a lot because of all the dishes we all made) home. Then my Mom and Karen went to eat at one of the CIA's restaurants. We went to the French restaurant and were treated royally. The students were our waitstaff and everything was fantastic.

Sorry to make you envious. ...

Soooooooooo envious. And hungry.

I think I'm going to have dinner now.

-T

You're welcome.

Just going with the flow. (And I'm glad Barbara doesn't mind.)

I explain this in response to another post of yours.

Soooooooooo envious. And hungry.

I think I'm going to have dinner now.

-T

Yes, Barbara, thank you for not minding that we temporarily hijacked your post. (pointing a finger at Thoth)

As for being hungry, I'm afraid I haven't made anything from my two classes. I think my next class is going to be their 'Cooking For One' class. Otherwise I'd have to have twelve freezers full of leftovers.

-W (who is off to look at the multiple reply answer from Thoth)

-W (who is off to look at the multiple reply answer from Thoth)

Is it possible you meant multiple replies by me to a single post?

That's easy.

1. Hit Reply for the post you want to reply.

2. Break up the post with carriage returns* to isolate the text you want to respond to.

3. Delete what you don't want to respond to, replacing them with ellipses. Or not. But the ellipses are just proper form.

4. Select and copy the bracketed information (name, timestamp, etcetera) including the square brackets.

5. Paste this information above each chunk of isolated text (except the first chunk, which already has it).

6. Select and copy the "/quote" terminator, with its square brackets.

7. Paste this terminator under each isolated chunk of text (except the last, which already has it).

8. Insert your brilliant answers under each "/quote" terminator.

9. Click on Add Reply.

Easy.

-T

Query: Why are they still called "carriage returns". We're not using typewriters. There is no carriage.

Is it possible you meant multiple replies by me to a single post?

That's easy.

1. Hit Reply for the post you want to reply.

2. Break up the post with carriage returns* to isolate the text you want to respond to.

3. Delete what you don't want to respond to, replacing them with ellipses. Or not. But the ellipses are just proper form.

4. Select and copy the bracketed information (name, timestamp, etcetera) including the square brackets.

5. Paste this information above each chunk of isolated text (except the first chunk, which already has it).

6. Select and copy the "/quote" terminator, with its square brackets.

7. Paste this terminator under each isolated chunk of text (except the last, which already has it).

8. Insert your brilliant answers under each "/quote" terminator.

9. Click on Add Reply.

Easy.

-T

Query: Why are they still called "carriage returns". We're not using typewriters. There is no carriage.

Actually I meant the opposite but you explained another thing I didn't quite know how to do. I meant in my one post replying to different people's post.

Is it still so easy-peasy then?

-W

Archived