Storyist Forums

who is NaNo-ing this year? (2011)

hippiechyck

I haven't decided yet whether to start on book 2 of my series (book 1 is just about done) or to go back to the novel I was working on before I began book 1 to see if I can fix the major plot hole that has doomed it from the get-go. But either way I don't think I will sign up for NaNo this year. I did it last year and found the 1,667 words/day so intimidating that I actually wrote less than in any other month of the year.

I'll cheer from the sidelines, though! :)

M

I think that NaNoWriMo is a fantastic idea! I think for people who have "commitment issues" or discipline issues, it forces you to think about word count and productivity in a way that you never might do otherwise. I just finished my second novel, which is now in the hands of an editor, so I'm taking a breather. Also, I have a mandatory business trip in November which would cut into my time.

Interestingly, a couple of years ago I signed up for NaNoWriMo and didn't make the 50,000 word count. However, to finish my second novel, I ended up writing 30,000 words in 3 days in a marathon Memorial Day weekend spree. Go figure!

Orren

LOL, Orren! One day i wasn't feeling well and my wonderful hubby took my boys out (we have a 9 and 12 yr old at home still) and i blasted out 20K in an afternoon :blink:

i've participated 4 years but only hit 50K once, and that was with a fan fiction of the Dragonriders of Pern (I LOVE MY DRAGONS! AND YES! I AM SHOUTING!) it was a really good challenge to me to stay within Anne McCaffrey's "writing cadence" and universe...i had a ball!

Marguerite, i'll take all the cheering i can get! :D

• 1 month later...

This was the first time I entered. Found that once I got going it was not too bad. The hardest part was getting the schedule going and then sticking to it.

Just had to add this.

I was even finished the first go through on Nov 22 with just over 50,000 words. Could not believe it. This is the most I have written at one time.

Oh yes I have the winners t'shirt on the way. If I am totally honest that was one of the major reasons I started but once I got going it was seeing the word count rising.

Right now I have put it aside and have started on something completely new.

I do have to thank the Storyist for iPad which let me write and have my music playing in the earphones at the same time. Used it exclusively for all the writing in the contest.

Phil

This was the first time I entered. Found that once I got going it was not too bad. The hardest part was getting the schedule going and then sticking to it.

I was even finished the first go through on Nov 22 with just over 50,000 words. Could not believe it. This is the most I have written at one time.

Yes. My first NaNo was a wonderful experience too. Unfortunately, in cost me $7000 in client revenue. Worth it, though.

Oh yes I have the winners t'shirt on the way. If I am totally honest that was one of the major reasons I started but once I got going it was seeing the word count rising.

I entered to get out of the habit of constantly tweaking my words. I could never get a first draft finished for a novel until NaNo.

Right now I have put it aside and have started on something completely new.

You're not going to do a second draft?

I do have to thank the Storyist for iPad which let me write and have my music playing in the earphones at the same time. Used it exclusively for all the writing in the contest.

That's amazing! You should write a testimonial for Steve. (I can't stand typing on the iPad. :( )

Congratulations again.

-Thoth.

Yes. My first NaNo was a wonderful experience too. Unfortunately, in cost me $7000 in client revenue. Worth it, though.

Retired no problem like that

I entered to get out of the habit of constantly tweaking my words. I could never get a first draft finished for a novel until NaNo.

I have never written something this long on one subject and needed the pressure to get going and keep going

You're not going to do a second draft?

I am not ready for that yet besides I reread bits of it and in all honesty it was crap. Does not bother me as all I wanted was to be able to finish something this long.

My interest has moved to the next writing project which I am not rushing quite as quick to finish. I have told myself I have to get 500 words done each day. This is allowing me time to reread what I did the night before and take notes to try and not get too far lost like I did on the contest novel.

That's amazing! You should write a testimonial for Steve. (I can't stand typing on the iPad. :( )

I am able to type much quicker on iPad. My wife appreciates it because my typing is totally without rhythm sort of like hit and miss on the keyboard. This is one thing that makes Storyist for iPad so great for me.

Phil

Archived