Storyist Forums

Storyist for Windows???

AlixMason

I currently use a computer equiped with the Windows OS, but I love the ideas and features of Storyist. Any possibility of Storyist become available for Windows?

~ Alix Mason

Hi Alix.

Only Steve (in his infinite prophetic wisdom) can tell us if there will ever be a Storyist for Windows. Right now, Storyist for iPad is taking up a lot of his time.

And while you can run the Windows OS on a Mac (for example, with Parallels), the good people at MicroSoft do not seem to have seen fit to permit the Mac OS to run on a Windows platform. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

Anyone know of a Windows platform that runs Mac Apps?

-Thoth

the good people at MicroSoft do not seem to have seen fit to permit the Mac OS to run on a Windows platform. I could be wrong. I hope I am.

You're right. But it's not Microsoft's fault. Microsoft sells software to hardware companies. Those hardware companies are more than happy to allow any OS to run on their hardware. That's why you can install Microsoft Windows, Linux, UNIX, Solaris, Google's future Chromium OS, and all sorts of other OSs onto Generic PCs. Microsoft has absolutely no say over what OSs will run on Generic PCs—if they did, I'm sure they'd lock out all those other options.

Apple, however, doesn't allow the Mac OS to run on any hardware that they don't create. Apple chooses not to allow the Mac OS to run on Generic PCs in order to sell their own hardware.

However:

Anyone know of a Windows platform that runs Mac Apps?

Well, since Apple moved to Intel, the "guts" of the Macintosh have been simply high-end Generic PC parts. So if you're a bit adventurous, you can do a little software surgery and fool the Mac OS into running on a PC. This is known as a "Hackintosh" and there are many sites devoted to turning your PC into a hackintosh. Here's a good starting place:

http://www.hackintosh.com/

(BTW Alix, I'm NOT recommending that you do this, just that it's an option)

Orren

All good points, Orren. But the original question was would there be a version of Storyist that runs under Windows. Failing that, I was wondering if there was any way to run a Mac app (i.e. Storyist) under Windows by (for example) using a third-party shell—much the way Parallels allows you to run Windows-only apps under the Mac OS (sorta) on Apple hardware. (Didn't you click on the Parallels link?)

Do you know of any such third-party software?

-T

I'd be interesting in hearing what Steve has to say since I have a bunch of friends who write but have PCs.

Thoth is right: "Ever" is a long time.

As you can imagine, this is a popular request, and I'd love to be able to offer a version for PC users. However, OS X and iOS are evolving so quickly these days that I realistically won't have the time to invest for a while.

-Steve

---As you can imagine, this is a popular request, and I'd love to be able to offer a version for PC users. However, OS X and iOS are evolving so quickly these days that I realistically won't have the time to invest for a while.--- (not sure how to insert this quote from Steve)

Perfectly understandable, Steve. Thanks for answering the question.

-Whirlybird

Archived