Storyist Forums

Two questions regarding the latest & greatest Storyist for iPad

hase

Hi Steve,

during the last hours I was perparing myself for this November-writing-like-hell thingy since I decided to survive it using my iPad for writing. While doing so, I noted two things I categorized as 'odd' which I'd like to bring to your attention.

First thing: I'm using an Apple bluetooth keboard for any serious writing and whenever I press command-up for getting to the top of my text, Storyist is doing that, places my insertion marker at the beginning, ready to roll. Pressing command-down for the bottom of the text does place my cursosr at the bottom, but the view stays where it is, I have to scroll down manually to actually see the cursor again (it doesn't matter if I actually start typing down there). Not especially hard on me, just a bit odd.

Second thing: the spell checker. The good news - it does check my spelling. The bad news: whatever I do, it won't change the language. Most applications are using the present keyboard layout for determining which language to use (which is ok if you don't use an external keyboard which obviously can't change it's layout) but somehow Storyist doesn't do it that way. Matter of fact, I haven't been able to change the spell checckers' language even by using system settings to change the iPads language

Both things are almost certain to be me being too dumb to figure out how to do it; but if by any chance there actually IS a minor inconsistency in changing the spell-checkers language I'd like to ask for a somewhat different approach to do it. Using the layout of the on-screen-keyboard is working as long as one doesn't use an physical keyboard, so I'd like to propose a selection using the settings menu (or whatever you call them on iOS)

Thanks for a brillant piece of software...

Hi hase,

Welcome back!

First thing: I'm using an Apple bluetooth keboard for any serious writing and whenever I press command-up for getting to the top of my text, Storyist is doing that, places my insertion marker at the beginning, ready to roll. Pressing command-down for the bottom of the text does place my cursosr at the bottom, but the view stays where it is, I have to scroll down manually to actually see the cursor again (it doesn't matter if I actually start typing down there). Not especially hard on me, just a bit odd.

Command+Down Arrow not scrolling is a side effect of an iOS quirk, and I'm investigating a work-around. In the meantime, just press the Back Arrow key after Command+Down Arrow to scroll to your desired location.

Second thing: the spell checker. The good news - it does check my spelling. The bad news: whatever I do, it won't change the language. Most applications are using the present keyboard layout for determining which language to use (which is ok if you don't use an external keyboard which obviously can't change it's layout) but somehow Storyist doesn't do it that way. Matter of fact, I haven't been able to change the spell checckers' language even by using system settings to change the iPads language

The spell checker uses the language specified in the General > International > Language setting in the Settings app. I believe this is Apple's recommendation. If so, I'll survey the other major apps and if the majority rely instead on the keyboard setting, I'll change the Storyist behavior.

Both things are almost certain to be me being too dumb to figure out how to do it; but if by any chance there actually IS a minor inconsistency in changing the spell-checkers language I'd like to ask for a somewhat different approach to do it. Using the layout of the on-screen-keyboard is working as long as one doesn't use an physical keyboard, so I'd like to propose a selection using the settings menu (or whatever you call them on iOS)

It could also be selectable in the Tools > Spelling menu.

Thanks for a brillant piece of software...

You're welcome Thanks for the kind words!

-Steve

• 2 months later...

The spell checker uses the language specified in the General > International > Language setting in the Settings app. I believe this is Apple's recommendation. If so, I'll survey the other major apps and if the majority rely instead on the keyboard setting, I'll change the Storyist behavior.

(...)

It could also be selectable in the Tools > Spelling menu.

Hello there,

First of all, I would like to extend my gratitude for Storyist and all the effort put into it. Great job!

Secondly, I didn't find the spell checker to work as you advertise above.

I write in English, Portuguese and Hungarian and the software will only accept (ie. will not underline) the Portuguese text whatever the keyboard layout I choose. It simply ignores the General>Intnational>Language setting.

Interestingly enough the auto-correct option works as expected (that is to say, it works as in other apps) it will auto-correct based on the keyboard layout.

If my 2 cents are worth something, I'd go for the general approach other apps take: spell check with whatever the keyboard layout is at the time.

Of course that would mean that the paragraph in question should (or could for the sake of the writer) remember with what keyboard layout it was written in the first place.

I think it would be far fetched to go as deep as word processing apps do which is to define taht there is a minimum type of an object, in this case, the character, which can be defined as the smallest unit for which one may define a language. Of course if you keep writing the software assumes that the text is to be spelled based on the last definition of language. In the case of the iPad, the wonder of being able to switch keyboard layouts should be considered as a plus over the classic word processing apps' approach because what actually defines a word's language is the layout.

I hope this helps in defining all the aspects of this functionality,

Cheers,

Pax

• 1 year later...

Hi Pax,

If my 2 cents are worth something, I'd go for the general approach other apps take: spell check with whatever the keyboard layout is at the time.

Cheers,
Pax

As of Storyist for iOS 2.0, the spell checker uses the language of whatever keyboard is active rather that the interface language. Thanks for the suggestion.

-Steve

Archived