Storyist Forums

Export to PDF option

afterThought

Hi. I was wondering if there could possibly be an Export as PDF function integrated into Storyist for iPad? I had followed a previous post about a workaround using the AirPrint feature and SavetoPDF, but now with iOS 5, this ability has been disabled. For me, this was a vital feature because I found the formatting of my scripts when I exported as RTF or TXT very hard to read (all the spacing was gone, text shifted to the left instead of centered). 'Printing' to PDF saved the presentation exactly as I wanted and I was able to comfortably share the script with my co-workers. I don't own a Mac so I can't export it to another program to convert it to a format I need. I would really love to keep using this software because of the brilliant organization features built in, but if I can't present a 'usable' script at the end, I may have little choice. I know that the Celtx mobile app has the ability to email as PDF, so I'm hoping something like this would be possible with Storyist.

Thank you,

afterThought

Hi afterThought,

Hi. I was wondering if there could possibly be an Export as PDF function integrated into Storyist for iPad? I had followed a previous post about a workaround using the AirPrint feature and SavetoPDF, but now with iOS 5, this ability has been disabled.

Yes, unfortunately, Apple decided that they didn't want apps like SaveToPDF or Print to PDF after all, disabled the mechanism these apps were using, and pulled the apps from the App Store.

I have to say, this scares the bejesus out of app developers.

It is certainly possible for Storyist for iPad to create PDFs, and the feature is now higher on the list for 1.2 or 1.3.

-Steve

P.S. You can still use an AirPrint app like Printopia on your Mac or PC to print PDFs from Storyist for iPad.

Dear Administrator

I'm reading these posts by Afterthought and I'm so confused why I can't open/print/ as PDF.

The reason I purchased Storyist for iPad was I liked what people were saying about it and I needed a script writer for my ipad. Then I purchased Storyist for my mac so I could intergrate projects between my ipad and mac. I email projects as pdfs.

I then purchased PDF converter but it does not show up on my ipad in OPEN IN either in project or manuscript level.

I tried using your support email system and the rep there (support request 36781) wants me to send her files for testing (I don't know what files she is referring to) and she wants screen shots.... I am really close to wanting refund for storyist ipad and mac and just staying with scripts pro, I don't want to do that so but please help me out here.

Thanks

-Jeff in NYC

Hi Jeff,

Dear Administrator

I'm reading these posts by Afterthought and I'm so confused why I can't open/print/ as PDF.

You can no longer print as PDF on the iPad on iOS 5 because Apple removed the feature that allowed apps to use AirPrint to print to PDF, and removed the apps from the store that were using the feature.

The reason I purchased Storyist for iPad was I liked what people were saying about it and I needed a script writer for my ipad. Then I purchased Storyist for my mac so I could intergrate projects between my ipad and mac. I email projects as pdfs.

Fortunately, Apple's change did not effect the Mac. You can still create PDFs in the Mac version by choosing Print, clicking the PDF button, and selecting "Save as PDF" or "Mail PDF."

I then purchased PDF converter but it does not show up on my ipad in OPEN IN either in project or manuscript level.

Storyist for iPad does not generate PDFs (this was the feature request), so the Open In command, which offers to open a PDF in another app, isn't an option.

I tried using your support email system and the rep there (support request 36781) wants me to send her files for testing (I don't know what files she is referring to) and she wants screen shots....

Thanks

-Jeff in NYC

Unfortunately, there isn't a case 36781, so I'm not sure which ticket you are referring to. If you sent email to the Storyist support address, it would have been me (Steve) who answered, and if you reply to the ticket again via email, I can take a look.

I am really close to wanting refund for storyist ipad and mac and just staying with scripts pro, I don't want to do that so but please help me out here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to refund App Store purchases, but I can give you a refund on the Mac version if you'd like.

As I mentioned above, though, the ability to export to PDF from Storyist is higher on the list now that Apple has removed the feature that supports the AirPrint to PDF function, and it should be in 1.2 or 1.3.

-Steve

Thanks

-Jeff in NYC

Jeff,

Not to confuse matters, but you do know that you can e-mail your project's .story file from your Mac and open that file in Storyist for iPad, then e-mail it back, right? No conversion is needed, and all your formatting is preserved.

All you do is tap the attachment in Mail on the iPad and wait for it to give you the "Open in" option. Storyist will be the default choice.

Best,

Marguerite

Steve

Thank you for the detailed info on my post.

Other than the pdf, I am very happy with Storyist on both my mac & ipad, it just becomes a frustrating issue when you have to search for other ways to do things, but such is life.

Thanks!

-Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You can no longer print as PDF on the iPad on iOS 5 because Apple removed the feature that allowed apps to use AirPrint to print to PDF, and removed the apps from the store that were using the feature.

Fortunately, Apple's change did not effect the Mac. You can still create PDFs in the Mac version by choosing Print, clicking the PDF button, and selecting "Save as PDF" or "Mail PDF."

Storyist for iPad does not generate PDFs (this was the feature request), so the Open In command, which offers to open a PDF in another app, isn't an option.

Unfortunately, there isn't a case 36781, so I'm not sure which ticket you are referring to. If you sent email to the Storyist support address, it would have been me (Steve) who answered, and if you reply to the ticket again via email, I can take a look.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to refund App Store purchases, but I can give you a refund on the Mac version if you'd like.

As I mentioned above, though, the ability to export to PDF from Storyist is higher on the list now that Apple has removed the feature that supports the AirPrint to PDF function, and it should be in 1.2 or 1.3.

-Steve

• 11 months later...

Archived