Storyist Forums

How to display lower bar so the word count is always visible?

CorStellae

I've been using Storyist for iPad today quite a while, and right now I'm loving it because of the word count (I'm using it for my NaNoWriMo, when I'm not on my computer). At first, I thought that I could only view the stats by accesing the tools button, on the right side of the screen. But I accidentally activated a lower bar that showed a few arrows and, voilá, the words/pages statistics. I'm using an external keyboard, therefore I hadn't seen that bar before. How can I activate it on purpose? I mean, there must be something, a button, some preference, a gesture… I just haven't figured it out yet.

Thank you.

Hi CorStellae,

There isn't currently a setting to keep the extended keyboard when you're connected to a BT keyboard since all the keys except for the word/page count status "key" are on the BT keyboard.

A future version will probably have a small overlay for the counts.

-Steve

I've been using Storyist for iPad today quite a while, and right now I'm loving it because of the word count (I'm using it for my NaNoWriMo, when I'm not on my computer). At first, I thought that I could only view the stats by accesing the tools button, on the right side of the screen. But I accidentally activated a lower bar that showed a few arrows and, voilá, the words/pages statistics. I'm using an external keyboard, therefore I hadn't seen that bar before. How can I activate it on purpose? I mean, there must be something, a button, some preference, a gesture… I just haven't figured it out yet.

Thank you.

Hi CorStellae,

That means that the bar stayed visible by mistake… curious behaviour!

Some additional info in case it helps:

You can active the extended keyboard by setting Tools > View > Extended Keyboard switch to ON. The extended keyboard doesn't show when you have a BT keyboard connected unless you also show the entire soft keyboard.

There are two exceptions to this:

1) If you're editing a header or footer, the strip with the "page #" does appear.

2) If you're editing an index card, the strip with the color selector appears.

-Steve

The lower strip, with all the arrows and the word count in the middle, appeared while I was editing the main text. It remained there for a while, even though I was going back and forth to other apps. But as sudden as it came, it left… My boyfriend saw it too, so I didn't dream it. :huh:

FYI, if you only need to do a quick check of the document statistics, you can (from within an open manuscript) touch tools... View... DOcumentInfo... and it will show Words, pages, lines, paragraphs, characters and chars no repeat.

I use this when I have a bluetooth keyboard attached, and it's easier than turning the keyboard off and on. :)

Thank you.

By turning the keyboard “on and off” I trully meant typing on the “eject” key. That keystroke usually activates or deactivates the virtual keyboard. It's far faster than going all the way to the tools menu… I'm just a little lazy. So every time I want to check on the stats, I press that key, look at the virtual keyboard for a moment, and press it again so I can keep writing… It just takes seconds… :rolleyes:

Archived