Storyist Forums

When I use OSX's dictionary it kills Storyist

happyslayer

Hello,

I am having a strange problem lately. If I am writing and I highlight a word, right-click on it and choose "Lookup word" it brings up a pop-up box with the definition that will not go away. I can still use the menus for a little while and scroll my document for a little while. But during that "little while" the definition box will not go away. After about 30 seconds or so, Storyist crashes and generates an error report.

I am using a 2011 MacBook Air 11" Core i7 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD HD, OSX Lion (all updates) and Storyist 2.3.3 licensed. This problem seems to be relatively recent as I don't remember it happening within the last couple years.

Let me know if I should paste the whole Error Report.

Thanks in advance.

Hi happyslayer,

Hello,

I am having a strange problem lately. If I am writing and I highlight a word, right-click on it and choose "Lookup word" it brings up a pop-up box with the definition that will not go away. I can still use the menus for a little while and scroll my document for a little while. But during that "little while" the definition box will not go away. After about 30 seconds or so, Storyist crashes and generates an error report.

I am using a 2011 MacBook Air 11" Core i7 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD HD, OSX Lion (all updates) and Storyist 2.3.3 licensed. This problem seems to be relatively recent as I don't remember it happening within the last couple years.

Let me know if I should paste the whole Error Report.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for forwarding the crash report to the support address. Unfortunately, it does not have enough information to identify the culprit. I've been trying to reproduce the "pop-up box with the definition will not go away" behavior, so far with no luck.

Since the problem appeared recently , it could be a bug in the new dictionary support in Lion. Here are a couple of things you could try:

1) Open the preferences in the Dictionary app and turn off dictionaries like Wikipedia that require network access. The pop-up box is managed by OS X (not Storyist), and the crash report indicates that there is network activity at the time, so perhaps a dropped or slow connection is triggering a network bug.

2) If you have alternate 3rd-party dictionaries or extenders installed, try disabling them. Apple deprecated some APIs in Lion, and perhaps that is affecting the plugins.

If this happens again, it would also be useful to see the console messages related to Storyist. Also, if there are steps that reliably reproduce the problem for you, please append them to this post.

-Steve

Archived