Storyist Forums

Auto-capitalization issue

TomG59

Hmm. I tested this and could not confirm it. Storyist auto-capitalized two new paragraphs and two new sentences with no problem. Could you have turned off auto-capitalization for the iPad as a whole? (I don't know if that's possible; I'm just guessing. Might be worth checking the Settings app, though.)

Welcome to the forums. Did you get hit by the big snowstorm over Christmas, TominNM?

Marguerite

Marguerite,

Don't know if there's a way to turn auto-cap on and off on the iPad as a whole. I'll have to check. It's also not doing the auto-correction; it's checking the spelling because it has no problem letting me know I've spelled something wrong but it won't correct it unless I actually tap on the word and select from the list. Odd, maybe I'll try reinstalling and see what that does I'll sync my work to DropBox first then resync back, should keep me from losing anything.

I just got brushed by the snow storm (about 4 - 5 in) it sort of passed north of me. Got enough to get a white Christmas out of it but it didn't disrupt too much. Probably a good thing beause the snow removal policy in my town is pretty much "let it melt." It's in the high 60's today.

Thanks for checking into this for me and have a Happy New Year.

Tom

Marguerite,

I figured it out. It's the external keyboard. My iPad doesn't auto-cap, or auto-correct, when I'm using the external keyboard (I use an Apple wireless). I never noticed it before but it's to be doing it on all programs not just Storyist - so not a problem with Storyist, it's a problem with how my keyboard is interfacing to the iPad.

So I need to look into that.

Again, that's for looking at it.

Tom

Ok, got it figured out. Not a Storyist issue and not really an iPad issue. A "feature" of iOS is that when you connect the iPad to a Bluetooth keyboard you lose the auto-cap and auto-correct functions from the Keyboard setup on the iPad.

Just means I'll need to be sure and use the shift key when needed.

Tom

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Read with interest the chain of comments above and thought I would chip in.

I have no problems with auto capitalization per se. What I have a problem with is that lingering finger on the shift key which capitalises the second letter of a word by mistake, i.e I want to type 'Frank' but my tardy fingers type 'FRank'.

I know M$ Word can sort this out and is very useful in my job, but Storyist for Mac doesn't have this feature yet. Storyist iPad seems to cope due to iPad editing algorithms.

Would it be possible to add this to the Mac suggestions list?

BTW Fabulous program. I have a 13" White MacBook with an SSD hard drive. Instant on and quiet...this morning at 3am, Storyist in 10 seconds before the idea drifts away again!

All the best

Austen

Archived