Storyist Forums

iPad2 and iMac

hopeso

I have an iPad2 and an iMac desktop. I'm using my iPad for travel and would like to keep continuity with my writing.

If I install Storyist on either one--iPad or iMac--can I write my great play on one and automatically have it appear on the other? Or can I copy and paste? Transfer, etc.?

Will 1 Storyist apps do the job or (gulp) do I have to install 2 Storyist apps--1 for iPad, 1 for iMac?

Thanks

Hi, Hopeso:

Welcome to the forums. You do have to buy Storyist for your Mac as well as for your iPad. Once you have the program in both places, your files will travel back and forth seamlessly. You can either sync them through Dropbox, e-mail them to yourself, or transfer the files through iTunes.

The app and the Mac program have slightly different feature sets, so some things are easier to do on the Mac and others on the iPad. That may help soften the blow of buying the program as well as the app. :)

Best,

Marguerite

Hi, Hopeso:

Welcome to the forums. You do have to buy Storyist for your Mac as well as for your iPad. Once you have the program in both places, your files will travel back and forth seamlessly. You can either sync them through Dropbox, e-mail them to yourself, or transfer the files through iTunes.

The app and the Mac program have slightly different feature sets, so some things are easier to do on the Mac and others on the iPad. That may help soften the blow of buying the program as well as the app. :)

Best,

Marguerite

Thanks Marguerite.

Not happy to buy both programs--unless there might be a discount for buying 2.

Could I just write in Apple's word processor--"Pages" app for $10--and then email those words to my iMac?

But I don't want complications. If buying both programs is the most effective way, I may have to do it. I can always not eat for a month. :blink:

Appreciate your advice.

David

Personally I use an iPad 2 and a Mac Pro, and DropBox. It's just a LOT easier than trying to copy/paste from Pages or something like that. I've been there with Auteureist and Scrivener. It's doable, but using a program on both devices that opens one file is a lot easier to deal with, in my experience :)

Maybe just get Storyist for iPad while travelling, and wait to get it for Mac when you return?

Do you have Mac Storyist already then, hopeso? The iPad app is just $10--the same price as Pages. I thought you had the iPad app and were reluctant to spend $59 for the desktop version (although it comes with a 30-day free trial and there are 25% off discounts during National Novel Writing Month and perhaps Script Frenzy in April).

You can type in Pages and import the text to your Mac version of Storyist via e-mail or iTunes. Only problem is that Pages does not respect styles in RTF files (as Word, for example, does), so it's most useful for bare bones editing with no formatting. If you do it a lot, it becomes a big headache, especially if you're sending things back and forth. And iPad Pages is quirky and doesn't support all of the features even of desktop Pages. But it would work as a stopgap.

Some people do write their whole novel on the iPad without Mac synchronization, so it's possible. I much prefer having the big screen and a proper keyboard, but food comes first! :)

Best,

M

P.S. Beta testers do not pay for the software, but you do have to be comfortable with slightly flaky programs and agree to report bugs when you find them. If that prospect doesn't alarm you, you might try sending a personal message to Steve via the forums. I don't know if he is looking for beta testers at present, but he will tell you what's possible in terms of payment options, including that one. To send a personal message, click on the arrow next to your name in the top right corner of the Storyist Forums screen, choose Messenger, and click on Compose New. His user ID is Steve.

Archived